Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

BuSpar for anxiety/panic attacks?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Does anyone know much about this medication? I hate SSRI's and my doctor brought this up. I'm pregnant and my OB wants me on lexapro. NO WAY! I know this medication is a class B and is supposed to be safe. I am more concerned about after i deliver,stay medication free then medicate. Someone educate me about this med please kiss
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Buspar is a non=narcotic.
|

replied August 18th, 2008
Buspar
Buspar works well and is non-addictive. it doesnt make the symptoms dis-appear but it works well. I was once on Atavan, but my new doctor took me off the drug immediateley bacause the drug is addictive. im happy with Buspar. I take 30mg a day.
|

replied August 22nd, 2008
Experienced User
I want to get pregnant and have just started taking Buspar (30mg pd). My docotor assured me as its class B its safe to take while pregnant. Im worried too though and not sure whether to go off it. I want to definately Breast feed so let me know what you decide. How far pregnant are you???
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
I see this post is over a year old so not sure if you will see this but I am in the same boat. My husband and I want to get pregnant and I have extreme anxiety. Was taking Paxil but d/c'd this as it is known to be harmful to babies. I just started Buspar (because it's a category B) this week and am unsure if I should stay on it if I get pregnant. Did you keep taking the Buspar or hear any words of wisdom that made u decide not to??
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
bubblycat wrote:
I want to get pregnant and have just started taking Buspar (30mg pd). My docotor assured me as its class B its safe to take while pregnant. Im worried too though and not sure whether to go off it. I want to definately Breast feed so let me know what you decide. How far pregnant are you???

I see this post is over a year old so not sure if you will see this but I am in the same boat. My husband and I want to get pregnant and I have extreme anxiety. Was taking Paxil but d/c'd this as it is known to be harmful to babies. I just started Buspar (because it's a category B) and am unsure if I should stay on it if I get pregnant. Did you keep taking the Buspar or hear any words of wisdom that made u decide not to??
|

replied December 4th, 2009
i tryed this and it didnt do anything.. i think i'm better with narcotics though. hehe... but right now nothing is the best policy.. screw being dependent on anything! besides a lil weed.. weed is the best for anxiety i'd say.. helps me out!
|

replied December 4th, 2009
oh but your pregnant NOT when ur pregnant i wouldnt take a single thing pregnant.. because they SAY it's safe but you never know
|

replied December 6th, 2009
Experienced User
Well I now have an extremely healthy Baby Boy. Hes 4 months old and 15lb. I was pretty slim as i was very active during my prenancy and i gave birth and he weighed 2 ounces off 8 pounds. I took buspar, 15mg last couple of month and went onto Zoloft straight after as i couldnt safely Breastfeed on Buspar.
I have no real regrets as I have the happiest and most handsome, healthy Baby....
|

Experienced User
Good luck by the way..All the best...
|

Ohh.... You are so so wrong.

oomeoo wrote:
i tryed this and it didnt do anything.. i think i'm better with narcotics though. hehe... but right now nothing is the best policy.. screw being dependent on anything! besides a lil weed.. weed is the best for anxiety i'd say.. helps me out!
|

replied December 7th, 2009
Experienced User
wooooha. What do you mean I am so wrong!!! I said it as it happened to me so how can i be wrong about how i felt. ooops i just this second realized you were talking about oomeoo. I have to agree in someways though. Certain things in small doses perhaps for some people. Narcotics however,,,,,come on ...we all knows where that leads. If by chance one uses it as a confidence boost.... its great it feels safe makes you kinda warm and fuzzy, we have to remember It IS a pharmaceutical, face and in the long run extremely deadly. Lifes a Rollercoaster but we only live it once so lets make it worth remembering and lets not die before our time is up.....

=fake ,
|

Sorry Bubbly, and, yea.. It wasn't directed at you. I WAS a heavy pot smoker, and that's why I've found this forum, and have begun replying. Weed is only good for treatment of some forms of cancer pain, not panic or anxiety. It's one of the biggest animals that magnifies internal conflict.

My experience with Buspuron was mixed with Valium, but over time I dropped the Buspirone (the Buspar caused heart palpitations and other side-effects - for me) and took up Aropax 10mg in the morning, and Valium 5/10/15/20mg depending on severity PRN if I felt an episope arising.

That's all I can help you with Bubbly, sorry.. It's just that when I saw someone treating manic/panic/anxiety disorders with "weed," I thought that I better try to knock that on the head really quick.

All the best, mate Smile
|

Sorry Bubbly, and, yea.. It wasn't directed at you. I WAS a heavy pot smoker, and that's why I've found this forum, and have begun replying. Weed is only good for treatment of some forms of cancer pain, not panic or anxiety. It's one of the biggest animals that magnifies internal conflict.

My experience with Buspuron was mixed with Valium, but over time I dropped the Buspirone (the Buspar caused heart palpitations and other side-effects - for me) and took up Aropax 10mg in the morning, and Valium 5/10/15/20mg depending on severity PRN if I felt an episope arising.

That's all I can help you with Bubbly, sorry.. It's just that when I saw someone treating manic/panic/anxiety disorders with "weed," I thought that I better try to knock that on the head really quick.

All the best, mate Smile
|
Users who thank Jasonh for this post: LuceeLu 

replied December 8th, 2009
Thanks Bubblycat for your reply
I stopped taking the Buspar after only a week b/c it made my insomnia 10x worse! Man I sound like a wreck! I am going to see a psychologist and a psychiatrist soon and hopefully that will be helpful. Anyways thanks for your reply and congratulations on your beautiful little boy!
|