Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

burning sensation under my left shoulder blade?

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
User Profile
I have a burning sensation under my left shoulder blade and in front of my chest is this a heart problem? i do have Dieabetties

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2011
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A26409
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Having a left sided chest pain, that is radiating to the left arm is almost always considered to be due to ‎cardiac issues. Hence proper evaluation is necessary.
‎
But a few factors that can increase the risk of having cardiac chest pain include: smoking, stress, ‎obesity, hypertension, diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc.
‎
In your case , it is necessary to do a few tests which include ‎the following:-
‎
‎1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
‎2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
‎
In case the above tests indicate any abnormality, further tests need to be done which include:-
‎
‎1. Echocardiography
‎2. Tread mill test
‎3. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)
‎
The other possibilities that can present as chest pain include respiratory causes, gastrointestinal and ‎musculoskeletal.
‎
The pain also could be due to musculoskeletal inflammation - This can be diagnosed if the pain ‎‎increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to ‎‎medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎
‎
Pneumonitis Or Pleuritis : Here the pain increases on deep breaths and is associated with symptoms ‎‎like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc.
‎
GERD: This is a common condition that can cause people to worry that they have heart conditions. But ‎this condition usually subsides ‎after taking Antacids or proton pump inhibitors , like Omeprazole, or H2 ‎blockers like Ranitidine.
‎
It is important to rule out the exact cause after physical examination and above mentioned ‎investigations.
‎
Hence, it would be very essential to consult a doctor you trust, for a complete examination and proper ‎treatment.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.