Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Burning sensation

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I am sitting here at my desk, and all of a sudden my stomach starts burning. Not bad though. I have not had lunch today (which is not unusual). I do drink alcohol. Also, I am under a lot of stress as well. Has anyone ever had a burning sensation inside their stomach. I usually would get this feeling when I have consumed an alcoholic beverage(s) on the previous night, but I did not drink on last night.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Pain or discomfort in upper central portion of abdomen, experienced as burning, aching, gnawing, or sore feeling, can be a symptom of gastritis (irritation or inflammation of stomach lining) or peptic ulcer (stomach or duodenal lining defect).
You may have additional symptoms like abdominal bloating, feeling of fullness, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, belching.
Alcohol is a common trigger of acute gastritis.
You may have developed a chronic form of gastritis (you'll need to be checked for infection with H.pylori) or you may already developed an ulcer.
If you are in your forties and you have these symptoms for longer than 2 weeks you may need to be examined with endoscope (highly suspected for ulcer).
Burning or gnawing pain in the central portion of abdomen between meals is usually a symptom of duodenal (first portion of bowels after stomach) peptic ulcer.

Best wishes!
Marija
|
Did you find this post helpful?