Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

burning sensation in my left arm?

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I have a burning sensation in my left arm a bit over halfway between my elbow and wrist following along maybe line of tendon. It is sore to touch. No visible swelling or apparent abrasions looks normal. I also have the same burning sore to touch feeling on outer upper arm again nothing visible. It may be totally unrelated but I have experienced frequent muscle like spasms to my left hand little finger for some weeks now . When this happens the little finger is distorted and curled and side of hand adjacent to little finger appears numb or with a changed feeling sensation. Also this self rectifies quickly it can be painful. Could you please help diagnos this problem or problems.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Adrian50
|

User Profile
replied September 2nd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
adrian50,

You could be having a problem with the ulnar nerve. This is a fairly large nerve, that runs behind the elbow and travels down to the hand. It supplies the sensation to the small finger side of the hand, and the motor function of the small muscles within the hand.

Burning sensations are usually regarded as arising from the nerves.

Compression of the ulnar nerve at the elbow, can cause numbness and weakness in the small finger. If the nerve goes completely to sleep, the small finger may drift away from the other fingers, and no matter how hard you try, you cannot get it to go back, until the nerve wakes up again.

Some patients can put this nerve to sleep by resting their elbows on the arms of a chair, bending them up while sleeping, or resting the elbow on the table with the chin in the hand. It this occurs, then you need to change your posture at that time a little, and you may want to consider seeing an orthopedic surgeon about it.

Good luck
|

replied September 22nd, 2011
Same symptoms
HI Adrian,

I have the exact pain/burning happening in my right arm. It did start in both arms and now the pain has subsided in my left arm. I do experience spasms from time-to-time but not as strong as you describe. Have you received a diagnosis yet?

thank you,

Rory
|