Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Burning sensation in lower abdomen

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
User Profile
hi im a little unsure as to whether i should worry or not as there could be a few reasons for the pain im experiencing but around 24 hrs ago i started to get a dull sort of burning sensation in my lower right abdomen a little below and to the right of my navel its slowly getting worse and when i move the wrong way tighten my stomach muscles or put pressure on it is like a very sharp stabbing pain im worried it could be an appendicitis or a rupturing cyst as i have poly cystic ovaries or it could be an ectopic pregnancy if you could please give me your thoughts on this i would greatly appreciate it thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2010
Appendix and Appendicitis Answer A16433
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the sharp stabbing pains in the right lower abdomen for the last 24 hours.
There are ahost of possibilities for the right lower abdomianl pain that you have described including appendicitis,constipation, ectopic pregnancy, ruptured ovarian cyst, Meckel's diverticulum, salpingitis,kidney stones,endometriosis, crohn's disease, lymphoma etc.
You must consult your doctor for definitive diagnosis as the same is not possible online.
The doctor will ask about periods, passing of urine and bowel movements. The doctor might also ask if there have been episodes of nausea, vomiting, or fever. If appropriate, doctor may ask questions concerning the person's emotional life - family, friends, work - and their sex life.
The doctor will want to examine you. This will involve feeling your abdomen and, in addition, an internal examination (vaginal, rectal or sometimes both) may be necessary.
Further investigations or treatment will be based upon the description of the pain and the findings of the doctor's examination.
Typically, a urine sample will be requested and tested for any signs of infection.
If a kidney problem is suspected than an ultrasound scan of the kidneys and bladder will be arranged.
If a problem with the womb or ovaries is suspected, swabs from the vagina looking for any infection might be performed and an ultrasound scan of the womb and ovaries is commonly performed.
If a bowel problem is suspected, a sample of the motion is often investigated for signs of infection and you may be recommended to have a telescopic examination of the bowel called an endoscopy.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.