Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Burning sensation in left index finger

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi there!
Looking for thoughts on what the following symptoms are trying to tell me.

Over the past year it has occurred about 15-20 times, maybe more but nothing for the last several months until today.
Always bottom left index finger where the finger meets the palm of my hand. It is not a tingling or pins and needles feeling I would call it a burning sensation. Could last 20 - 30 minutes or on and off throughout the day. I don't believe it has ever lasted days at a time. May turn a bit red and swell up but that could be from me rubbing it? It started at about 3 PM today and is still causing me pain at 8:30 tonight.

No other pains or issues with either hand or wrists.

Misc info.
Will be 38 this year and in good health other than being overweight and having seasonal asthma. I used to end up in the emergency room every year in June due to asthma until I was put on a stronger dose of Advair this past year (only take that 3 months out of the year).

Never get sick... Had a physical for the first time last year and blood work came back normal, Dr. didn't have any concerns.

Only other issue is that I was diagnosed several years ago with tendentious in both feet. Steroid shots and physical theraphy didn't help so I deal with the pain and use orthodics. Last year went to Dr. with pain in shoulder and was told I had tendentious there as well. Was put on an anti inflammitory and that pretty much is gone.

Anyone have thoughts on the finger pain?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper LMPARD
|

replied March 9th, 2009
tendonitis
I have had the same with a simlar medical backround. It was thought it might be carpal tunnel, however my was tendonitis or what is call as "climber elbow" and caused some burning sensation to the index finger.

Sometimes the tendons become inflamed for a variety of reasons, and the action of pulling the muscle becomes irritating. If the normal smooth gliding motion of your tendon is impaired, the tendon will become inflamed and movement will become painful. This is called tendonitis, and literally means inflammation of the tendon.

What causes tendonitis?
The most common cause of tendonitis is overuse. Commonly, individuals begin an exercise program, or increase their level of exercise, and begin to experience symptoms of tendonitis. The tendon is unaccustomed to the new level of demand, and this overuse will cause an inflammation and tendonitis.

Another common cause of symptoms of tendonitis is due to age-related changes of the tendon. As people age, the tendons loose their elasticity and ability to glide as smoothly as they used to. With increasing age, individuals are more prone to developing symptoms of tendonitis. The cause of these age-related changes is not entirely understood, but may be due to changes in the blood vessels that supply nutrition to the tendons.

Well thats what I think, there are many treatment and advice out there, so pick one that is best for you.

good luck
|

replied March 24th, 2009
Wow
Thanks...I have EXACTLY the same symptoms - did a google and ended up here. I agree with your diagnosis.
|

replied April 24th, 2009
Burning in Right Index Knuckle/Finger
I have the same in opposite hand! Are you left handed? I believe it might be from having a job the last two years where I worked on the computer everyday and that index finger is the one that clicks the mouse.
Sharp burning pain is usually a NERVE PAIN.
The nerve could be pinched from a tight muscle compressing it. Also there is probably inflammation from friction. Ibuprofen and
stretching exercises of the finger is what I plan to try........Diana, R.N.
|

replied April 24th, 2009
I am right handed and have been always held a job were I type for over 8 hrs a day. Haven't had the pain again since I first posted this, but then it comes and goes Smile
|

replied September 10th, 2009
Knuckle burning sensation
Have had an on-and-off burning sensation in the top knuckles (near fingertip) of left index finger and occasional left ring finger for last 2-3 months. Usually notice it when I stress the joints a little, eg picking something up, pulling on dog's leash. The weird thing is that I am right handed but my right hand is fine. I first noticed the symptoms after weeding front path where grass/weeds grow between pavers, thought I had just scraped the knuckles somehow but it has lasted for quite some time. I did use my left hand quite a bit for the weeding so I thought maybe I just overstressed my non-dominant hand that's not used to that kind of use. No swelling or redness at all. Symptoms are mild enough to ignore at this point but I imagine maybe it's just the beginning of age-related arthritis? I am 47, and also have peri-menopause symptoms and have notice my hands in general tend to be a little puffy lately (not specifically in the area where the pain is), in fact to the point where I don't wear my wedding ring every day any more. My hands have always been predisposed to puffiness though, particularly when pregnant or overheated. Anyway, interesting to hear others have the same sensation as the people I've mentioned it to think I'm nuts!
|

replied January 3rd, 2012
My wife has these same symptoms to the point where she cant sleep. What is the cure? Nobody mentioned a cure or a relief remedy.
|

Google tendonitis and see if any of that helps. I haven't had the pain in a long time (so hope I am not jinxing myself here). Good luck!
|

Google tendonitis and see if any of that helps. I haven't had the pain in a long time (so hope I am not jinxing myself here). Good luck!
|