Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Burning sensation and strong urine odor

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
Okay for months and months now, I have been having really bad symptoms down there. I will, on and off, have a really painful burning sensation when I pee, and a really uncomfortable feeling like I have to pee more, but can't. A lot of times, my urine will have a really strong odor, and I've noticed that it isn't linked to any particular food that I eat. Intercourse also becomes very painful, and some positions are unbearable. It will either burn badly or just straight up HURT, like jabbing pain. Lately I've noticed that uncomfortable urination is more linked to caffeinated products, which makes sense, but it wasn't always like that. And still, most women can drink coke or coffee without getting that feeling >:O

A few months ago I went to my gyno and she did a test, and it was negative for any std's or yeast infection/UTI. i've had both a yeast infection and a UTI in the past, and it's similar to those, so I was sure that would be it. I was leaning more towards yeast infection bc those are more tolerable to live with than a UTI, and obviously i've been dealing with it for a while. it's possible that could have tested for other things, because I told her what my symptoms were, so I'm sure she tested for whatever she thought was a possibility..

I went to a doctor today and my urine sample was totally normal. She said I should definitely get a follow up with my gyno, who may refer me to a urologist. She wasn't really able to tell me what it could possibly be though..I also don't know what else my gyno could do. Shouldn't she have done all she could do already?

This is just so confusing. Is it possible a culture test could give different results now? My symptoms haven't changed or anything.

I used an at home urine sample test and the results came out a lot different than the doctors clean sample. I guess that's because I used the wipes to sterilize myself but..still, could the differences be so drastic? I guess that's just me being paranoid, I don't know if there's any way a medical urine test could go wrong.

I am a 19 year old female. If anyone can think of reasons that this could be happening that I haven't stated (like things that may be personal) just say them anyway, and if I have had it happen to me, I'll PM you about it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I'd skip your gynecologist and go directly to a urologist..

Your symptoms coincide with UTI (I have had many)..

Best Wishes,

Zig
|

replied October 30th, 2009
The culture from my gyno said it wasn't a UTI..I've had uti's before and this is definitely less intense, I wouldn't be able to last so long lol

But yeah, I wanted to skip the gyno as well and go to the urologist. But my mother wants me to go to the gyno tomorrow so ehh, whatever..why not.

I hope it's something simple and curable like a UTI though

thanks for your reply.
|

glad to know i'm not the only one. I have been haing these same symtoms since 10-13-09. I have never had a yeast infection or a uti. but my gyno. told me the same thing yours did. she said that it was both a uti and a yeast infection and has giving me pills for both. i figured after i'm done with the meds. and i'm still having the sam eissue i'm going back. so just know that you are not alone in this situation. keep me updated with what your doc tells u
|

I went to a gyno today, and she said she's doing all tests possible, including finding like..crystals in my urine, something like that. Also, after feeling around inside me and applying pressure, she noted that I was extremely sensitive and tender. It was really uncomfortable when she did it, and sometimes burned, making me feel like I had to pee.

If her tests prove nothing, she referred me to a urologist that specializes in Interstitial Cystitis.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pub s/interstitialcystitis/#concerns

After reading all of that, I think there's a good chance that might be what's wrong with me. You should check it out.

Good luck. I'll post updates here.
|

replied June 30th, 2010
I experience the same thing!
OMG I have these sympotms too! I was treated to 2 UTI back to back and it only got worse b/c the tests said I did not have a UTI or yeast. I even went to the ER b/c of the pain it caused me. I would burn up to 2 hours after urination. My gyno gave me AZO to take to help the pain. That only masked SOME of the pain. As soon as I cut caffeine out and starting using self lubricant (replenish or KY beads for self lubrication) it helped. It took 3 weeks to get in control. I have been very stressed at work and have been drinking 1 coke a day and guess what.. it's back. Try NO caffeine and lubrication. I know usually women can be dry vaginally but i think my bladder does too. I am convinced the lube helps my bladder somehow too or just makes it easier to urniate. I have endometriosis and sometimes my body says it's my bladder that is in pain but sometimes is vaginal. Good luck and so sorry you go through this too!
|

replied September 8th, 2010
Re: Burning sensation and strong urine odor
noogle wrote:
Okay for months and months now, I have been having really bad symptoms down there. I will, on and off, have a really painful burning sensation when I pee, and a really uncomfortable feeling like I have to pee more, but can't. A lot of times, my urine will have a really strong odor, and I've noticed that it isn't linked to any particular food that I eat. Intercourse also becomes very painful, and some positions are unbearable. It will either burn badly or just straight up HURT, like jabbing pain. Lately I've noticed that uncomfortable urination is more linked to caffeinated products, which makes sense, but it wasn't always like that. And still, most women can drink coke or coffee without getting that feeling >:O

A few months ago I went to my gyno and she did a test, and it was negative for any std's or yeast infection/UTI. i've had both a yeast infection and a UTI in the past, and it's similar to those, so I was sure that would be it. I was leaning more towards yeast infection bc those are more tolerable to live with than a UTI, and obviously i've been dealing with it for a while. it's possible that could have tested for other things, because I told her what my symptoms were, so I'm sure she tested for whatever she thought was a possibility..

I went to a doctor today and my urine sample was totally normal. She said I should definitely get a follow up with my gyno, who may refer me to a urologist. She wasn't really able to tell me what it could possibly be though..I also don't know what else my gyno could do. Shouldn't she have done all she could do already?

This is just so confusing. Is it possible a culture test could give different results now? My symptoms haven't changed or anything.

I used an at home urine sample test and the results came out a lot different than the doctors clean sample. I guess that's because I used the wipes to sterilize myself but..still, could the differences be so drastic? I guess that's just me being paranoid, I don't know if there's any way a medical urine test could go wrong.

I am a 19 year old female. If anyone can think of reasons that this could be happening that I haven't stated (like things that may be personal) just say them anyway, and if I have had it happen to me, I'll PM you about it.

Thanks you for the post.

queen queen queen
|

replied September 9th, 2010
hi Janet,
you have the same sensations and feelings I have been suffering for amny and many years.
You probably suffer of pelvis contraction as me and it took 20 years to find the solution.
Moost of the doctors do not want to say anything and in this moment, I am not in the position to express all I had to suffer in the past.
I only twll you that i found a natural remdy which solved my life and it's called AUSILIUM. If you google you can find a company based in the U.K. which is selling it.
It's completely natural and what's more there no side effects at all.
when you test your urine you probably won't see anything because in some times bacteria are so unrecognizable that only thorough exams might find them.
I would like to share my experience with you. If you want you can communicate at janetspencerone at gmail dot com . I wrote in this way in order to avoid some problems.
Take care and keep in touch
|

replied July 30th, 2013
I am having some problems, horrible pain when I urinate, pain during sex and my urine smells awful! I had test done and was neg for all test! someone please help if they have any idea whats wrong with me..
|