Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

burning mouth (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
i have been SUFFERING with something called burning mouth syndrome - have had it since april. i've seen internists, dentist, herbalist and ear, nose and throat doc's - sure would appreciate any help you might offer. often it starts around ll:00 a.m. everyday - really gets goin' in late afternoon and evening - one thing (which is weird) that seems to give a little relieft to burning sensation in Listerine - i rinse my mouth - but symptoms return...i've looked this syndrome up on internet and it appears there is no answer - boy, if you could help i'd be soooo greatful. thank you janice schoner
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2008
Supporter
What are some of the symptoms that you experience? What is happening? And what do you eat typically in a day (please list)?
|

replied October 2nd, 2008
burning mouth
i do not eat any spicy foods (mexican especially) - i eat a rather bland diet - will have a glass of wine couple times a week - it seems like chocolate adds to the burn - i'm not a big vegtable eater - tonight we're having fried pork chops mashed potatoes and gravy - i think i eat fairly normal - i seem to be dring a lot of water constantly throughout the day (which i've heard is a good thing). i have an extremely lot of stress in my life (daughter going through divorce).. but life is stressful - i'm on (and have been for years) a medication called celexa (40 mg) for probably 8 years - it really seems to help me with nerves. i have a great husband and family - just so puzzled as to why i have this burning mouth problem. if there is another person out there who is struggling with this would certainly appreciate a contact.. thank you, janice schoner
|

replied December 7th, 2011
burning mouth syndrome
This is a helpful website:

go4hope.org

I've had BMS for over 5 years now - hate, hate, hate it!
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2008
Supporter
I still don't really understand -- what IS burning mouth syndrome?
|

replied October 3rd, 2008
burning mouth syndrome
it feels like someone has poured lye water all over my tongue. not always but there are days when the inside of my lips and roof of my mouth sting also. i guess i also don't know what it is and how it gets started - 3 years ago i was put on a antibiodic for a couple of weeks - that is when this whole thing started - i suffered with it for about 6 months then it seemed to go away - april of this year it started up again - i have a lot of stress in my life (as well as 3 years ago) - wondering if stress could have anything to do with it - (but frankly my life has always had a lot of stress)... if this is something i just have to live with i'll accept that - but sure is uncomfortable....thanks for responding janice schoner
|

replied September 4th, 2011
My Burning Mouth Syndrome was an allergy to Arugula (Rocket)!!
Just check its not an allergy!! I thought I had BMS and then found out it was an allergy to Rocket (Arugula). My throat would swell almost to the point of closure with swelling to inside cheeks and tongue, then I would get a mouth full of ulcers/blisters/sores? So bad that I couldn't eat or even open my mouth to look inside. This would last a week or so and then I would start to eat properly again and the whole process would start again!! Its also linked to Hayfever so if you are allergic to say Birch or Ragweed pollen, you are more likely to suffer from an allergy linked to raw salads, leaf,veg etc..Your mouth acts like you've stuffed a big handful of the pollen you're allergic to into your mouth!! It seemed to happen after salad, so I cut out each ingredient one by one to eliminate each one and lo and behold one mouthful of Rocket and my symptoms start within an hour! Got to be worth looking at, it was the answer I needed and I am no longer feeling almost suicidal with the constant pain!! Good luck
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2008
Supporter
I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Have you tried getting away from the stress for 3-4 weeks to test your theory about stress making it worse?
|

replied October 28th, 2008
burning mouth syndrome
i simply can not remove myself from stress - my daughter and her husband are going through a divorce - we live in same town. i know stress can cause all kind of health troubles - i also have a post nasal drip down back of throat (have had for years) do you think this possibly could be tied into the burning mouth? what about seeing an allergist - i so appreciate your writing me - janice schoner
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2008
Experienced User
An allergist couldn't hurt. Or a nutritionist, for that matter. Perhaps the symptoms are being caused by something that you are eating or consuming? Get tested for food allergies and then create an ideal diet!
|

Supporter
Burning mouth syndrome does not seem to have any cause.

A recently released Cochrane Review looks at possible treatment options: http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab00277 9.html
It demonstrates that painkillers and antidepressants don't seem to have much of an effect. However, alpha-lipoic acid seems to perhaps be promising.

The best option appears to be coping with the syndrome.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I used to have all the same symptoms and I tried a multitude of different mouthwashes and sprays and things to no avail. In the end, it was a complete fluke that cured me. I was given the tablet Fluconazole (one off dose) for thrush and it cleared my mouth too! Turns out, it was an oral thrush infection that had lingered. Ask your doctor or see if you can buy it over the counter because it sounds like a possibility.

The fact you've suffered since you were on antibiotics makes me wonder if it's a thrush infection too. I didn't have the white stuff in my mouth like the symptoms say for thrush but I did have a terrible burning and a bit of swelling too. Chocolate would cause an instant reaction.
|

replied May 20th, 2009
red spots in throat and back of tongue
I had an appendectomy a while back,i tend to travel alot so i noticed that the incision scar constantly gets inflamed and pain resurfaces in the right side of my abdomen,my doctor prescribed antibiotics and prednisone and anytime i felt the pain while travelling i took antobiotics and prednisone which helped.

I noticed while swallowing the drugs a kind of chill i felt over my body like i was going to be sick,shortly after that i noticed red raised bumps in my throat and the back of my mouth,i was have taken alot of antifungal medicines ,the sorethroat is gone and the whitish coating on my mouth is almost gone but i cant seem to get rid of the red spots and it is giving me concern .

ANYONE PLEASE...??
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
I know EXACTLY how you feel with the burning mouth syndrome but now I've added loss of taste to the symptoms. I can't taste anything--happened overnight--and I have little to no saliva. Plus it just plain hurts to eat or drink with the burning. Pepsi almost killed me!! They think it's related to my TMJ and the treatment I'm going through for that--something may have pressed on the jaw muscles though why that causes burning is a mystery to me.
|

replied August 10th, 2009
I also have a burning mouth, have had it off and on for years but for the last 6 months it is there all the time. Mouth quite tender, lips burning and also tissues in mouth seem to be secreting a gluey white substance - yuk. I constantly suck mints to get rid of taste. Anyone else suffering these symptoms. I am being referred to Dental Hospital.
|

replied August 28th, 2009
I have much the same symptoms,in March of this yr I was very sick.Went through 3 rounds of antibidics.From that I ended up with a yeast infection.The original illness was a sinus infection,which turned into tonsilitus,then broncitus.My stomach hasn't been right either since all of the meds.I've been from Dr to Dr who say I have acid reflux.Off and on I will get a burning stomach and throat,plus my mouth or tongue will burn.Now just recently I had to have my R-(big) toe nail(surgery) removed due to a fungal infection.I'm thinking it's due to all the antibiodics.....as it kills off the good and bad bacteria in your body.I too have had a truck load of stress which just makes everything worse.I read to take B & B-12 vitamins,plus probodics. (sorry about the spelling)I'm going to try these things,hope this was of help.If you know of anything let me know....thanks Smile
|

replied December 10th, 2009
Burning Tongue
LPR (Laryngopharyngeal reflux) can cause burning tongue,throat and hoarsness.This is different from GERS (may not have hyperacidity symptoms).
|

replied December 17th, 2009
burning mouth
i also have this problem with my mouth. i have been to my dentist, doctor and my orthodontist and they all say my mouth looks normal but it hurts. i have pain on the first part of the palate of the roof of my mouth, my tongue and my gums that seem to hurt then get better and then move to another part. it seemed to start after some dental work and a new retainer......i had little bumps everywhere in my mouth and then the pain started this is very stressful and i am sure that i have some systemic problem that has not been diagnosed yet.......i am at my wits end...
|

replied December 19th, 2009
Burning mouth and thoat
Gastric acid can travelup to the throal (Reflux)caosing the burning mouth syndrome (Oddly you may feel Any heart burn ).Is treated by raising the head at night,Avoid Cafeine,spices,tomato sauce,fried food and and food 3 houres before bedtime.Plus Prilosec 40 mg half hour before breakfast and Zantac 300mg befor your last meal.
Cewing gum is VERY helpful to increase saliva which is alkaline. wish you luck
|

replied March 14th, 2010
Hi Janice, I can cure you, u need L theanine!!!! trust me it will work 100% give it a try, I also suffered BMS. Cheers
|

replied April 13th, 2010
Actually let me change that to Valerian 2500mg - 5000mg a night
|

replied November 19th, 2010
BMS
I have had the same symptons since june when I kissed someone on a one night stand.
Pain in my mouth started within 24 hours, and was worried i had an STD.
Went to a clinic and was tested for everything, and all come back negative.
Yet I am still having BMS 5 months later.
I have tried Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Vitamin B supliments, as well as changing my brand of toothpaste, yet nothing works or cures it.
Chewing gum is the only respite, but is not a long term solution.
The symptoms get worse through-out the day, and are decidedly worse at night time...no stress in my life to speak of (besides the BMS!) so not that....docor prescribed a Amitrypiline, which is an anti-depressant but at low doses, which was prescribed, is meant to help with dry mouth etc, but I was reluctant to be on anything that strong on a long term basis so did not even pick up the prescription.
Any help greatly appreciated.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply