Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Burning chest, throat and coughing.

Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
I sometimes get heart burn and it's barable, but for the past few months I've been getting heart burn whenever I eat no matter what I eat, whether it's heart burn inducing or not. My chest and throat emmediately start to burn and I cough alot, often hard because of it. It's very bothersome and makes me not want to eat at all. Both my parents have Acid Reflux. Could I have it too now?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2011
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the chest tightness that you have after eating some foods. All these symptoms are of gastritis due to acid reflux from the stomach. It is usually after eating a heavy fatty meal and sedentary lifestyle. It can also be caused by drinking too much alcohol, prolonged use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin or ibuprofen, or infection with bacteria such as Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori).

Eat small nutritious meals at frequent intervals instead of a heavy single meal. Exercise frequently and take your dinner atleast 2 hrs prior to bedtime. Also raise the head end of the bed by 2 blocks.
Take some OTC antacid like Mylanta.You can also take ranitidine or omeprazole after consulting your doctor. Also keep your fluid electrolyte balance optimum by drinking lots of fluids.

If the symptoms worsen then it may be due to H.Pylori infection.You need antibiotics in that case after prescription from a physician. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care

|

replied April 22nd, 2011
Thank you very much for your reply and advice.

It's been a while since I've been on here, but the symptoms seem to have gone away. It has'nt happened lately. I don't drink alcohol or take alot of pain meds, so I think it may have just been what I was eating or just a passing thing that resolved itself.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.