Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Bumpy rash behind ears (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Yesterday I felt a few small bumps behind my ear. I assumed it was pimples and ignored it.

Today there are a lot more of them! They are mostly behind both ears, a few on top of my ears and some down the sides of my neck near my hairline. They are pretty small and pink. They only itch a little bit, but sometimes when I touch them or bend my ears they hurt.

I've only done two things differently in the past few days. A few nights ago I switched to a different pillow. It was one I've used in the past but it's been sitting around for a while. The other thing is that yesterday I went to a pool with a group of 80 elementary school students. I don't know if either of those could have caused this, but I just wanted to include everything.

So what could this be, and how can I treat it?

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pdxb
|

replied June 30th, 2009
question
i have the same thing. started on my left ear.... figured it would go away. woke up the next morning, andit spread through the bottom half of my hairline to my right ear. sort of itchy, burning, feeling. Warm to the touch, not too painful.

Only thing i can think of is a new shampoo? but i use to use this shampoo last year??

Any suggestions?
|

replied July 29th, 2009
Rash behind ears
I have the same thing!!! i went running Monday when I got back home my forehead start itching....I look in the mirror and i have all these bumps on my forehead.The back of my neck start itching, then my ears! So i bought some corti cream. The bumps on my neck and forehead are almost gone and are not painful. the ones onbehind my ears are scaby and they hurt like heck...They don't itch anymore just hurt....I wonder if there is something going around.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
A new rash going around?
I just made the above post#7779311 "new user"I think this must be a rash/ virus going around. Now my shoulder blade/arm is starting to give me pain...like the muscle pain you feel before you get the flu. This is still in addition to the bumps behind my ear and neck. Gosh. What is this?
|

replied August 29th, 2009
I have the same thing as well! I don't know what to do about them. Mine are around the top of my forehead, near my jaw line and behind my ears. Their not very red at all but very warm and the only the ones behind my ears are the ones that itch. I noticed it after I went i swimming in my pool/hot tub, I haven't been swimming for a while, I think my husband changed the chemicals in the hot tub, but could that be it?
|

replied August 30th, 2009
I woke up yesterday and felt the bumps behind my ear. Later in the day I noticed they spread to the side of my face. Took some benadryl thinking it was an alergic reaction to something I ate. Woke up this morning, no change. Rash is still there, feels like pipmples. Sure hope someone has an idea of what this is.
|

replied September 1st, 2009
Me too
I have some similar symptom as well. My head all itches and I have thse red little bumps behind both ears and in the ncek around the hair line posteriorly. I changed my pillow few weeks ago, and few days later this began. It is a pillow from IKEA. Does anyone with this problem have this pillow as well? Let me know
|

replied September 9th, 2009
i have this too it started as just a few bumps behind each ear which i ignored it has now spread to my neck side of my head and forhead especially around my hairline its itching like crazy - pharmacist reccomended hydrocortisone cream and loratadine (allergy) tablets to stop the itching and calm the skin i also find benrdryl cream useful although it is still spreading it is suspected to be a virus but i am not sure i am going to the doctors tomorrow so i will see then i live in kent i am interested to know if anyone else lives in the same area the only thing i can think of is a new pair of earrings or my aunts hot tub so i am really confused?? i will see what the doctor says and post it tomorrow
|
Users who thank ItchyScratchyaaaah for this post: HayHay 

replied September 15th, 2009
Yeah it hink there's something going around...I live in Arkansas..It's gone now...but before it went away it PEELED AND BLED LIKE CRAZY. i MEAN YOU WOULD THINK i WAS PEELING AN orange by the amount of skin I pulled off my ear. How is everyone else doing?
|

replied November 8th, 2009
rash on face
If this is a virus, I think it has spread to Tennessee. The bumpy rash started behind/under my ears and now it's all over my face, too. It's not painful but feels like a slight sunburn. What did your doctors say?
|

replied November 22nd, 2009
Well I'm in AZ and I have the same thing... Can't think of anything I have done differently accept I had some Beer the night it happened... doubt that would do it but who knows. started behind the ears and iv very annoying.
|

replied November 26th, 2009
Rash behind Ears, Neck and Back
Did anyone recently sleep in a hotel before getting the rash? I have the same rash..behind my ears and all over my back?

What about the H1N1 flu shot, did anyone have it just before getting the rash?
|

replied November 28th, 2009
Rash Behind Ear
I live in Texas and I have a rash behind my right ear. It started just with one bump. I noticed it when I was sitting in my hot tub. Today it is a rash about as big as a quarter. Now I am feeling bumps behind my other ear.
|

replied December 5th, 2009
Gosh if this is the case then the virus is in Malaysia. Could be your bed sheets? When was the last time you changed your covers? Are Texas, Tennessee and Arizona hot and humid places? Could be heat rash? Has it been somehow hotter than usual? I have it above my ankles and behind my calf and on my thighs as well. Maybe i'm just paranoid but my face is starting to itch
|

replied December 14th, 2009
I'm in NY, and have the same rash bumpy behind my left ear. It feels like a whole bunch of pimples grouped together. I haven't slept in a hotel in months, but I work with kids so I get nearly every virus that goes around.
|

replied January 6th, 2010
red itchy bumps behind ears and neck
Hi I have the same problem...hot itchy small red bumps behind my ears and back of neck...feels very hot.. not sure what it could be but did move into new house, and am using (or was!) old pillows (feather). My husband doesnt have the same problem, but was wondering if it could be dust mites or allergic reacttion to feather pillows? does anyone know? am trying to get to dr tomorrow if possible. i also did use new shampooo but was natural (kiehls)... so not sure... any advice or info very welcome.

I even tried to find details on measles, but this seems very unlikely.

VL - Toronto
|

replied February 8th, 2010
I have this terribly. Started as a few small bumps and is now a big rash behind both ears and along hairline. I stayed in the bestwestern across from grant park in chicago last weekend. This is so bad I can't sleep now.
|

replied March 14th, 2010
Pimply Rash Behind Ears
For those of you that slept in a public bed....bed bugs are going around. I have the same rash behind my ears and my throat is sore and raw. I too am around lots of kids. I have hypo-allergenic everyting! So it's not dust mites or allergy. If it was my steriods would have helped. It is not lice, or a new medication...anyone else care to give it a shot? I live in Missouri and it is wet and cold here.
|

replied March 26th, 2010
Bed bug infestation..possible cause of bumps behind ears
I slept in my nephews bed the other night. When I got to work...I work at a hospital...I felt a burning sensation around my left ear and felt three tiny bumps. I thought something bit me then I felt my other ear and it was the same thing tiny bumps but on my left ear there were less bumps. I talked to my coworker who is a pharmacist and he said it was probably bed bugs. I believe it was a bed bug. I read up on it and they do feed in several spots in a row...which the bumps go down my ear as if to follow my vein in my ear...so if you have bed bugs try to vacuum your mattress w a high voltage vacuum cleaner more than 12v, or spray alcohol on mattress, a steam vacuum cleaner works well...these a lot of possible solutions on the internet..hope this helped:)..oh yeah I live in Atlanta
|

replied May 9th, 2010
irritating rash behind ears
i have this too... it started a few days ago and i didn''t think anything of it at the time but today they started itching and hurting and are warm to the touch...little red dots behind my ears and on my neck below my ears i called my doctor and he said to try hydrocortisone cream first and see what it does in the next few days and if it doesnt help then i should make an appiontment...the weird thing is i havent changed anything in my rutine no new shampoo no new body wash no new deturgent i havent changed my pillow no new clothes no nothing it just came out of no where...im wondering if it has anything to do with climate change or if i came in contact with someone else who had it and got it from them...if so we should all keep our hands really clean so we dont pass it on to anyone else
|
Quick Reply