Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

bumps on my scalp cause Migraines

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
I have these bumps on the middle right side of my scalp which are very painful and cause me to have serious migraines. These bumps started off like pimples and they got inflamed, then flakey and it seems they are healing then they appear all over again. Its been there for about 6 months now. Sometimes when i squeeze one of the bumps a cream looking liquid comes out. What is the cause of these bumps and how can I get rid of them? It may be important I mention I have serious dandruff.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2012
Headache and Migraines Answer A38308
Welcome to e health forum.

From the description of your head lesions, it seems that you might be having seborrheic dermatitis. This does not seem due to Seborrheic dermatitis is a common, inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas such as the scalp. It can occur with or without reddened skin.

Stress, fatigue, weather extremes, oily skin, infrequent shampoos or skin cleaning, use of lotions that contain alcohol, skin disorders (such as acne), or obesity may increase the risk.

You can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. Shampoo the hair vigorously and frequently (preferably daily). Loosen scales with the fingers, scrub for at least 5 minutes, and rinse thoroughly. Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium.

Some brands include - Nizoral A-D (Best) , Head and shoulders selenium sulfide shampoo, Head and shoulders zinc pyrithrone , Denorex , Selsun blue and Neutrogena.

Shampoos or lotions containing selenium, ketoconazole, or corticosteroids may be prescribed for severe cases.

To apply shampoos, part the hair into small sections, apply to a small area at a time, and massage into the skin.

You may consult with a dermatologist who can examine you and give a clear diagnosis and direct proper treatment.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.