Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Bump on outside of vagina

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
Just today I discovered a bump on the outside of my vagina. It's more so near the inside of my leg as opposed to near the opening of the vagina. I have never had sex and was wondering if I should be worried.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2010
Skin Answer A10270
Hello,

Without examination, confirmation of a diagnosis is difficult, but it seems like folliculitis or a boil. Folliculitis is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles. The condition may occur anywhere on the skin. It starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus.

A Boil is caused by an infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Bacterial skin infections can be spread by shared cosmetics or washcloths, close human contact, or by contact with pus from a boil or carbuncle.
Apply warm compresses on the bump and keep the area clean. You should consult a doctor as you might need a course of antibiotics/anti-inflammatories to take care of the same.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.