Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Bump on back of neck

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
Hi, I am 22 years old and I have had a medium sized bump on the back of my neck on the right side underneath the skin (right near the middle of the back of neck, but up high)for maybe 4 or 5 years now and my neck has always caused me discomfort, but usually only after sitting at a computer desk for a period of time or after doing a lot of reading or watching T.V. But for the last month or so I have been able to feel the discomfort all the time, and I have been experiencing a lot of sharp pains through the right side of my neck and up into my head as well. I also get sharp pains in the right side of my forehead sometimes and in my temple. My right ear has even started to ache for a few minutes at times. The discomfort is now pretty much everywhere on the right side of my head, and I can feel the strain in the back of my neck 24/7. Can anyone tell me what this might be? Could it be from stress
or even eye strain maybe? I used to have to wear glasses for reading and watching t.v and stuff

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2009
Anxiety and Stress Answer A7196
The discomfort you are experiencing may be due to muscle tension when you are in certain positions for a long period of time or from repetitive movements. You can see a doctor to rule out any medical reason for the bump and your pain, including any change in your vision. There are ergonomic keyboards, chairs, etc. that may help you as well.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.