Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Bump on baby's head (Page 1)

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
My seven month old baby fell from the couch onto the hardwood floor. He fell on his head and now has a big bump on the right end of his forehead. The bump is big and mushy. When i touch it, it is soft not a hard bump. Is this normal or should i take him to the hospital? He fell about a wk ago and the bump seems to slowly be going down but its still pretty big. Is it normal to last this long and be soft? He has been acting normal though,, eating, playing, sleeping normal.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile mominashoe
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2009
Community Volunteer
He will be ok if he's been normal for a week already. Just don't put him on surfaces that he can fall off in the future (though I'm sure you know that already.) A soft bump is normal: it's the fluid buildup from the fall.

When a baby gets a bump, if you apply vaseline to it immediately after he gets it, it prevents the discoloration in the skin. Cold compresses work for the swelling of course, but I have yet to meet a toddler or a baby that wants to keep a cold compress on his head for more than 2 seconds.
|

replied July 30th, 2009
Experienced User
my seven month old baby also fell from bed to the carpeted floor. Though she has very small bump on her forehead but it was little blue. she also scratched her side of nose and below eye. I was afraid but now she completely fine Thank God.

I was afraid cuz one of my relative's six months old daughter fell from bed on floor and didnt cry and slept later, found dead.

So be very careful all mothers.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
Experienced User
Unfortunately my baby fell again today from bed just after waking up. This time front right side of eyebrow and under eye area is light red and blue. I felt like crying but this time i was confident than first time. i did cold compresses. Though its not swollen. I've decided NOT to leave her alone on bed even if she's sleeping.

But one good thing happened she's now scared to get to edges of the bed. I've checked her several times today and she just stop at the corner of it. I dont know if she'll remember it but i'll let her show with her toy falling from bed. i did it today as well.
|

replied November 19th, 2009
Baby Barrier
That is horrible! It is NOT the way to teach your baby about heights and falls!! They sell barriers for adults (or childrens) beds that prevent the baby from rolling off. They are anchored underneath the bed. NEVER, EVER LEAVE YOUR CHILD ALONE ON FURNITURE!!!!!! That is neither safe nor acceptable parenting.
|

replied March 9th, 2010
omg horrible story about the lil one dying. Sad

Nevan is 10 mo now , and fell off my bed when we were co sleeping a few weeks ago... he also has a soft like bump on the side of his head, that you cant see, only feel.. and i might get the dr to feel it. even if he thinks im crazy.
|

replied March 9th, 2010
omg horrible story about the lil one dying. Sad

Nevan is 10 mo now , and fell off my bed when we were co sleeping a few weeks ago... he also has a soft like bump on the side of his head, that you cant see, only feel.. and i might get the dr to feel it. even if he thinks im crazy.
|

replied May 21st, 2010
baby bump
just now my baby bump her head twice under the care of his father. i'm beginning to hate him.
|

replied January 6th, 2011
Baby fell off couch
Baby fell off couch, hit back of head and cried for 3 minutes. Seems to be okay, but right eye swelled up on top.

Is this a sign of internal swelling?

Aj
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi Aj1976...I would call my pediatrician about this...Years ago our daughter pulled our son off a chair...He hit his head...We took him to the ER and we were told to watch him all night...We were told to wake him up every few hours...I would check on this...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied January 21st, 2011
night before my 17month old son and i were on our bed he run straight off an landed on his back hittin the back of his head immediately i run to the bathroom and held him under the shower for a few mins, then my mother in law came and held him under his chin n puttin him to stand. but he got a bump to the front middle of his head so i rubbed it wit baby oil but up to last night the swelling went down a little and there is no mark he is also playing eating and talking (baby talk) as normal but is this bump gonna stay there forever? what should i do?
|

replied February 7th, 2011
Hi,
my 8months old son fell off yesterday & gt a bump back of his head. Bump is not visible today, but I noticed that he's sleeping alot. nw it's 3rd nap for the day. Is this normal? I'm Worried Sad
|

i am an ER nurse...
1. please please please stop leaving your children unattended on furniture even just for a minute!!!
2. monitor the child for 24 hours following the fall, if he/she is acting (in any way) unusual, if they begin vomiting following the fall or become abnormally sleepy or restless take them in to be evaluated.
3. always remember the people at the ER will not think you are dumb for having your child checked out...when in doubt take them in!
|

Thnx 4 d advice. Smile he seems ok now.he fell off while trying to stand up holding my leg and I was seconds delayed to hold him as I was having my lunch. U knw hw hard it is when u cdnt stop d accident. Il b more careful hereafter.. Thnx again
|

replied July 27th, 2011
new born fell
i am a new mom and yes i know not to leave my child alone on a unsafe surface but i got up to grab his bottle two steps away and he rolled off the couch no swelling and barely cried he is only 3wks old i feel so horrible but i would like some advice on weather to take him to the ER or will he be ok????
|

replied September 24th, 2011
My son is 7 month & he fell on the carpet floor like about 2 days ago from the bed and has a bump on his forehead is that normal..... Should i be worried??
|

replied October 10th, 2011
My son is 8 months old he always bump his head everyday in the wall,but he's not crying..and he fell out the bed 3 times but he still ok,I'm so worried about the head injury,he got 1bump last september 21.and now he got a bump again in his head,he's feeling good,he eat,he play,he smilie ..I'm so sad about that,I'm a single mom and it's so hard for me:(hopefully everything will be fine;(
|

replied October 10th, 2011
Can you give me some advice if that's fine, ? I'm so worried:(
|

replied January 5th, 2012
Baby Falls out of Bed or Off Couch REALLY?
Holy cow folks. Babies falling off of furniture is not acceptable at all. I NEVER left my children alone not even for a second. If I had to get up to get a bottle or go to the restroom. They would go into their swing or into the bouncer. Children can seriously get hurt with what you may think is a minor fall. Yes some children can die from head trama. Keep that in mind next time you feel like leaving them on the couch or in your bed while sleeping. By a rail to put on the bed if you have to let them sleep in your bed. Or better yet PUT THEM IN THE CRIB!!! Babies heads are still developing and up until a year old they have a soft spot in their skull that if hit wrong could do some major damage. Be smart people never leave your child unattended when they are laying, sitting or sleeping on furniture that's more then a half a foot off the ground. With that in mind here's something else for you all. If the child developes a soft bump on their head never push or poke at it. Have you lost your minds? You could be causing more pain or making the situation worse. Must be young parents to do crazy stupid things like this..
|

replied January 27th, 2012
How stupid me and alot of people I know are young mums and we do perfect jobs bringing our children up. That's really annoyed me you stupid woman!!!!
|

replied September 14th, 2012
Young mums
I would never leave my daughter on any surface by herself ever and I am a young mum. Do not critisis us as some of us just like older mums make excellent mums. Older mums make mistakes too. We are not stupid and I guarentee I have had more child care experience then alot of people! I dislike your comment and think that you should sort your head out and walk a mile in ours shoes before judging us! Your ridiculous criticism is not welcomed!
|

replied January 18th, 2012
I am amazed at the lack of parenting skill and even more amazed at the people bashing people who are asking for help. My kids fall/bump heads 20 times a day. They are 11 month old twin boys who are walking all over the house. We are good/attentive parents but sometimes they get away and hit their heads, it happens.

Those of you who are asking, if you baby is not acting right, take them to a doctor. They can give you much more medically credible advice than people on this site.

Those of you who are bashing the people asking questions, go teach somebody how to do it right and quit wasting time beating people up. Those of us who know are responsible to teach those who do not. Asking people if they have lost their minds is not teaching, it is ranting and/or just hateful talk that serves no rational purpose. Maybe a couple of you need to hit your heads.
|

replied July 17th, 2013
My little sister was walking up the stairs to the kichen
and fell and hit her head on tile floor !! What should
I do????
|
12 >>