Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Bulging veins, warm hands, only at night time?

Why do the veins in my hands get large and warm only at night time? This has been bothering me for a while. It seems like it only happens after I've been up for about 8-10 hours. My hands also get warm when this happens and the veins on my hands are huge by the time I go to bed. It's been happening every night now and when I wake they are back to normal (actually small and cold).
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Blood vessels are designed in such a way that they can change their diameter, there by regulating the blood flow. This is made possible by the vasoactive substances which are released by the cells surrounding the blood vessels. These substances constricts or dilates blood vessels based on the need.

Blood flow in the capillary networks can be controlled by the body using both hormones and nerves (the sympathetic nervous system).

When your body is too hot, more blood is allowed into the capillary networks and so more heat is lost to the air around the body. When this happens, the skin goes pink or red (often called flushing or blushing).

When your body is too cold, blood is not allowed into the capillary networks and so heat is kept in the body and the skin acts as insulation - this makes the skin look very white.

Thread veins of the LEGS occur when the VENULES dilate (get bigger) and become big enough to be visible through the skin.

|

replied January 3rd, 2012
Does a fluctuation mean anything significant? My hands and feet typically stay cold throughout the day but around 6-8pm just then do they start to heat up which continues until I go to bed. Its weird!

Thanks for the response
Joogz
|
Users who thank joogz for this post: Vsv 
Tags: skin, about cold
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.