Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

building up teeth with porcelin

I just ran in to a local "tmj" dentist in the store -she told me to come in, do the jaw tracking, etc, and she would start to build up my teeth with pocelin. Hmmmm... another acquaintance - a Harvard prostodontist told me ABSOLUTELY NOT TO DO THIS!!.Whom should believe? It's not my teeth - IT'S MY JAW!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper yazon
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i wouldnt do this--this will change the bite--have you been grinding??? that is the only reason that she should want to do that.
|

replied November 7th, 2010
Teeth need to be Built up... its complicated.
What a Mess! A dentist replaced 3 of my amalgam fillings with composite fillings. He filed down my teeth too low, he over corrected and when I complained of two high points making contact first, I am sure he got frustrated. 4 times he made occlusal adjustments. HE FILED DOWN MY TEETH TOO LOW!!!!!!! I developed TMJ/D. I have been to 5 dentists, all of whom would immediately offer to file down my teeth even more, its the fast cheap easy way. I refused. I know my teeth were filed too low. You will come to experience the 'White Wall of Silence" this is a serious complication in dentistry. God forbid a dentist experience rosy cheeks on the golf course for 10 seconds, god forbid he/she admits they over corrected. You will immediately hear, "You are stressed out, and you grind your teeth." You will have to approach the problem from a cosmetic point of view. Find a dentist who will re-do your fillings and add some more material. Now this is important, 75% of your face is numb... DO NOT make occlusal adjustments now! Eat soup, wear a mouth guard... in 3 days come back for adjustment and just a tiny bit then go home again. You may have to wait 3 years for relief, that is the amount of time the statute of limitations runs out on the ability to sue your dentist. Other dentists will NOT throw a colleague under the bus ever. NEVER let a dentist replace more than one filling at a time. They like to do 3 at a time because.... MONEY! So you have to carefully explain to an honest dentist that your teeth need to be restored to the original height. Blaming a dentist will get you deep into the 'White Wall of Silence' so approach it a different way. Always about money, never about relieving your pain. If you are in NC DO NOT go to Dr. Roger U. He is a skilled liar and has been doing this long enough to know what to say and how to avoid responsibility. You are in for a very crappy 3 to 7 years of misery because a dentist got frustrated. Your teethe are too low. Get the ADA involved, get a lawyer involved, get help as quick as you can. TMJ is excruciating and makes life miserable.
|

replied February 18th, 2012
white wall of silence
Thank you!It helps to read this, as I feel like I'm going insane.

I'm on the verge of taking possible legal action over the same thing - failed inappropriate equilibration (filing down). No responsability taken by perpetrator - a senior dentist who should have know better...

His underlings just closed ranks with him.
|

replied February 18th, 2012
white wall of silence
Thank you!It helps to read this, as I feel like I'm going insane.

I'm on the verge of taking possible legal action over the same thing - failed inappropriate equilibration (filing down). No responsability taken by perpetrator - a senior dentist who should have know better...

His underlings just closed ranks with him.

Keep up fighting the good fight.
|

replied August 8th, 2013
TMJ
I have suffered for years with this problem...it has ruined my life! I know my teeth are too low through many fillings. I have had splints etc, just don't know where to turn. Am wondering if I should get my teeth out and get false ones. It is a shocking thing to go through. Linda.
|
Tags: TMJ
Quick Reply