Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Bubbles in the stool

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I eat a mostly plant based, all natural diet, which makes me pass gas more often than the average person.

In the last few weeks, I've had difficulty passing my gas easily. I'm having to force it out, often times needing to squeeze my noisy stomach to move the gas around.

I've also noticed now that when I poop that gas is bubbling up out of my stool. Which was why I finally decided to take notice of the changes in my body's behavior. This doesn't seem normal.

Should I be alarmed?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2008
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A4896
Current medical status: Dr has suggested IBS in the past when I have complained of debilitating pains that move from my right side under my ribs the move up my back or down into what feels like my fallopian tubes. This happens sporatically, and lasts for only 5 minutes. It is not associated with constipation or diarhea. I thought it may be linked to having my gallbladder removed in 2000 (this is a result of scar tissue from a car accident-not an unhealthy diet).
Current medical treatment: None. Because the pain is unpredictable and only lasting such a short time, my dr doesn't suggest any of the current IBS medications for me. I'm concerned the gas in my floating up out of my poop could be something more serious than IBS. And that IBS is the answer that drs turn to when they can't find any other answer to what is happening in the gut???

If “bubbles in the stool” are your only symptom, there is nothing to worry about because “bubbles in the stool” are not a symptom of any disorder.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.