Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

Bruising, tired, aching all over (Page 1)

Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
User Profile
3 weeks ago I went to the doctor to get meds for a sinus infection that I had had for a month. I told her about my bruising (approximately 50+ all over my body) and I work in an office with little exposure to injury with my lifestyle. I also explained how tired I am all of the time. She ran a few tests CBC showed platelets at 66,000, WBC borderline low, and RBC borderline low. Thyroid, B12, liver, and kidneys are good, and ANA was negative.
I constantly have a general pain through my body down to the bone, and a very stiff neck the past few weeks. She put me on Doxcycline for sinus infection, but two weeks later I got sick again with terrible sore throat, earaches, weird headaches, and swollen gland. The most concerning change lately has been strange memory loss and confusion.
I have met with a hematologist-oncologist and I have a bone marrow biopsy scheduled in two weeks (when my insurance becomes effective) but I still won't have results for another week after that.
Does this sound like Leukemia? I feel like I've ruled everything else out and that maybe I should begin preparing myself for this diagnoses.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper WIFI1
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2010
possible leukemia syptoms
I know this is not what you want to hear, but the symptoms you are describing sound like exactly what I was experiencing before I was diagnosed with acute lymphocytic leukemia. I was extremely fatigued, had bruising for no reason, swollen glands, and had a terrible achiness all over my body. But I didn't have any memory loss as you described. And my WBC was through the roof at 30,000 when I was diagnosed. Don't worry, you don't know anything for sure yet, so stay positive. It may very well be something entirely different, so don't put the blinders on yet. Only God knows at this point. Keep me posted.

concerned, Katey
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2010
Thank you for responding. I have done countless hours of research and have some nursing experience, so I feel almost certain that I have leukemia. I also forgot to mention that I have had exposure to benzene, which is a risk factor I've read to cause problems in the bone marrow. I'm not a smoker or anything, but certainly spent some college days doing drugs.
I feel like a sitting duck right now. All I can do is wait, and get my relationship with God in order, b/c I think I'm about to go through quite a lot.
|

replied August 24th, 2010
Re:
The rest of your symptoms does make it sound like you have Leukemia, except one: usually with leukemia your WBC's are extremely HIGH. Good luck - I will be praying for you!!

XOXO
|

replied August 25th, 2010
Experienced User
Re: Bruising, tired, aching all over
Do you work in an office that has wireless communications, computers, modems, and routers?
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2010
I do. I'm in front of a computer 70% of my day. In addition to my daily bruising, I now have a bruise bigger than my hand on my thigh that came out of no where with no incident.
The waiting around for my bone marrow biopsy is driving me crazy.
|

replied August 31st, 2010
Experienced User
danab826 wrote:
I do. I'm in front of a computer 70% of my day. In addition to my daily bruising, I now have a bruise bigger than my hand on my thigh that came out of no where with no incident.
The waiting around for my bone marrow biopsy is driving me crazy.

Gee Dana, that's not good. For the past ten years I have been having bleeding under the skin, which is what many refer to as bruising. They haven't been the size that you are experiencing, but I couldn't understand why it was happening to me, particularly when I didn't take any medication that could cause the blood to thin.

I believe that it could be from long-term radiation from computers and ancillary equipment, particularly if it’s wireless (Wi Fi). I was sitting in front of a computer for 3/4 of the day for years, and it wasn’t until cell phones became proliferic that I began to feel strange things, such as feeling as though all my skin was burning, from the face down to the feet. These days my ankles and feet are burning all the time, as I live in an area that is bombarded with Wi Fi radiation.

The symptom of bleeding under the skin, or bruising isn't listed under the symptoms of microwave, Wi Fi, Radio, Wireless, electro magnetic hyposensitivity illness. But, long-term radiation can cause this, whether it’s ionised or non-ionised radiation, and in other cases some people become anaemic.

When I am in an area, such as a large shopping centre, and an entertainment area were there is a lot of Wi Fi hotspots and particularly Noikea cell phones I end up with bleeding under the skin, and I can feel them boiling the blood under the skin.

Over a long-term effect the cells of the skin begin to break down.
|

replied August 31st, 2010
Experienced User
Re: Bruising, tired, aching all over
danab826 wrote:
3 weeks ago I went to the doctor to get meds for a sinus infection that I had had for a month. I told her about my bruising (approximately 50+ all over my body) and I work in an office with little exposure to injury with my lifestyle. I also explained how tired I am all of the time. She ran a few tests CBC showed platelets at 66,000, WBC borderline low, and RBC borderline low. Thyroid, B12, liver, and kidneys are good, and ANA was negative.
I constantly have a general pain through my body down to the bone, and a very stiff neck the past few weeks. She put me on Doxcycline for sinus infection, but two weeks later I got sick again with terrible sore throat, earaches, weird headaches, and swollen gland. The most concerning change lately has been strange memory loss and confusion.
I have met with a hematologist-oncologist and I have a bone marrow biopsy scheduled in two weeks (when my insurance becomes effective) but I still won't have results for another week after that.
Does this sound like Leukemia? I feel like I've ruled everything else out and that maybe I should begin preparing myself for this diagnoses.

I forgot to say that over the years I began to progressively developed the following symptoms: (1) excessive thirst, (2) night sweats, (3) brain fog, (4) swollen lymph glands, (5) extreme fatigue (6) insomnia, (7) a weakened immune system, (Cool nausea, (9) heart pain and palpitations, (10) back pain, (11) unexplained anxiety, (12) neurological symptoms, (13) vision problems (14) burning mouth, tongue, and throat, (15) insomnia, (16) annoying headaches, (17) intermittent migraines, (1Cool dry and painful eyes, (19) impaired memory, (20) inability to concentrate, (21) body temperature regulation problems (chills and fevers), (22) bone pain, (23) intestinal disturbances, (24) bleeding under skin, (25) burning and tingling sensations all over body, (26) aching legs and painful ankles, (26) continual cough, (27).

I’ve had every conceivable blood test, and x-rays and there has been no diagnosis, except to give most of my symptoms a syndrome name, such as: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Myalic Encephamyolitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and Burning Mouth Syndrome. And to make matters worse the medical fraternity will not consider or accept that my symptoms are the same as the worldwide lable as microwave and wireless sickness that is caused by long-term radiation from electronic and wireless equipment.

This is well documented in Sweden, Europe, United Kingdom, and America.
|

replied September 4th, 2010
I have been having tiredness, frequent headaches, body aches and my white blood cell count has been high for a while now. My doctor is sending me to hematology soon because she has ran blood test for RA, Lupus, osteo arthritis, and lupus all came back negative. Now I am getting worried.
|

replied September 5th, 2010
I am sorry you guys are kinda just waiting for something to happen.

Usually, with leukemia, the white blood cell count is abnormal: either elevated or low. But the cells, themselves are abnormal. I think the best thing to do, if this service is available, is to see a hematologist. If you need a referral, ask your primary physician or health care provider for the referral.

An oncologist is a doctor that specialized is all types of cancer. A hematologist is a doctor the specializes in blood diseases only. See a hematologist! Now!
|

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2010
I have an appt 9/15 with a hematologist/oncologist to have a bone marrow biopsy.

I've looked over all of my past CBCs and my red, white, and platelets have steadily dropped. Strangely though my red cells are growing in size (104; normal is 88-100) which caused some concern to my doctor, and I'm not anemic. Red cell is low, but hemoglobin is fine.

Also, while my WBC is at a 4 my lymphocytes have steadily dropped from 43 to 28 over a month's period, and my neutrophils have increased from 48 to 63.

The waiting game is killing me, but there is nothing else I can do I guess. Any ideas or advice is MUCH appreciated!
|

replied September 12th, 2010
Could these be symptoms of All leukemia also?
I to have had similar symptoms to this. It all started with a general sick feeling all over tiredness all of the time etc. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and put on synthroid to get my TSH levels lowered, this worked for a while but the stomach problems got worse as well as I started having a constant pain in my shoulder and in my rib cage. I then went to an Internist and he found that I had a couple of Gaul stones. I have since had my gaul bladder removed.
I am now having sharp pains that are intermittent in my legs both on the right and left side and groin area.I have had constant joint pain in ankles knees and right shoulder, I have pain in my shin bones on right side, and it feels as though my liver may be swollen due to constant pain under my lower rib cage. If I laydown at night it is hard to breath I went to Nurse practitioner for this and she did an Xray and found I had a raised diaphragm on the right side and she prescribed an inhaler for this, that did not help.
I have had a CT and a Ultra sound and they found a 1x1 inch mass in my liver, My Internist thought it was likely a Cavernous Hemanginoma but he did not seem to be concerned. Has anyone had these Cavernous Hemanginomas diagnosed before and had it turnout as a misdiagnosis?
I am just tired of being fatigued and in pain all of the time. Could these be signs of Leukemia as well?, or maybe Hemachromatosis? my Iron has also tested in the high range for the last two years and seems to be gradually climing.
|

User Profile
replied September 15th, 2010
I'm not sure Burkefam1. A lot of it depends on your blood counts and thyroid levels. I would get a second opinion if you're really worried, and mass doesn't sound good.

Well, today I had my BMB and it did hurt, not as bad as I had anticipated, but I definitely felt it, and I'm REALLY sore. I am keeping my phone right next to me for the next few days, b/c the Dr. said that even though he will be off work, he will give me a call if if he finds out it is something that we need to take quicker action on.

Also, my CBC showed that my white cell from 4 to 3.1, platelets are at 72,000, and red cells increased in size to 106 when the normal range is 80-90...what the crap?!
|

replied September 19th, 2010
Dana826,

Just to add another worry to your present ones: A low Red cell count and a high hemoglobin makes for large sized red blood cells because they contain more hemoglobin than a normal RBC count. Now why is that? you ask. Will, there is a condition that is called Pernicious Anemia. And that is easily treated with monthly injections of vitamin B12
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2010
My b12 levels came back normal. Red cells have continued to increase from 9/15 CBC. White cell dropped to 3.1 from 4.1 in a month. Platelets are still dropping. I feel pretty hopeless right now, just hanging out in limbo. I should know something by the end of this week.
|

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2010
Bone Marrow Biopsy
Did you find anything out??? Have similar symptoms and was wondering how it all went for you.

Jxx
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2010
My bone marrow biopsy came back stating there was no cancer but I wasn't producing enough blood. My blood counts have remained low hanging around the borderline of normal ranges and platelets have slowly declined to the 50's. I'm now having frequent nosebleeds, urinating blood clots, and having 'fake' bowel movements where I only pass bloody mucous.

I will have a CT scan next month. I've gotten 2nd and 3rd opinions with a lot of 'I don't knows'. I'm sick of seeing doctors and more sick of not having answers. I'm feeling worse and no one even cares enough to try to figure this out. I've become very pessimistic lately.
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
well!
At least its not cancer!!! any updates?
|

replied June 3rd, 2011
bruising and leg pain
my wife has had low white and red blood cells, constant leg pain, bruising all over her body and fatigue. i was sure she had leukemia but today we were told by the hematologist that there is no sign of it. we are now doing more blood tests. i'm wondering whether it could be vitamin c deficiency as she was on a crash diet using adderall for about 6 months and was not getting proper nutrition.

any thoughts? her leg pain is awful
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
Pernicious Anemia
For those of who who find yourselves having low Red Blood Cell counts, but RBC that are increased in size, the previous writer was correct to say that this is pernicious anemia indicative. It is essentially caused by a lack of B12 to the cell, however (like yours were) B12 levels do not have to be low. It usually is related to a problem with the absorption of B12 which is usually naturally done by the normal flora (aka healthy normal bacteria) that colonize the insides of your intestines. However, if you have been taking lots of antibiotics to the extent that the normal flora of your intestines became depleted, you may now present with pernicious anemia as a result of that. Therefore, you need probiotics, not monthly B12 injections.
|
12 >>