Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

Bruising all over legs causing concern

Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
Hi there, I dont know where else to put this because other than this slight problem I am in good health and there is nothing wrong with me
I am 17, I do take a pill (the pill) for several reasons, but I dont know whether that would affect this.

Right, as of late, I have been getting some serious looking bruises all over my legs (these look as though I have been beaten up quite severely). I am quite accident prone, but never before have I had such bruises that I am worried slightly.

The only things that have changed in my life are a new boyfriend (he's lovely, so the bruises arent from him XD) and I have started excersising a lot more than I used to.

They show up very clearly as I am very pale, and the bruises are a horrible black and purple colour. They are on my upper leg, and my lower leg on the inside, they dont hurt to touch them, and I dont want to waste time at the doctors if they arent serious - I dont know whether to be worried about these or not, should I see my GP?

Thank you :3
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bruised
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Bruises that appear for no apparent reason and based on your description...you should make an appt with your doctor.
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2009
oh yes, I would totally get an appointment. on the back of your birth control pill package or in the directions, they tell you if you experience any leg pain or anything of the sort to consult your Dr. immediately because they could be blood clots.
|

replied May 17th, 2009
the thing is, they arent painful -at all- , just look terrible... my new boyfriend thought Id come out of an abusive relationship they where that bad, today they seem to be fading away, although a couple more have appeared (not as serious looking as the others) the doctors are closed today, so if they still look like I've been run over tomorrow then ill give them a call.

Thank you for your replies Smile
|

User Profile
replied May 17th, 2009
that's a great idea, I hope it all goes well!
|

replied March 13th, 2011
Hi, I have the same type of bruising on my legs & i'm getting worried as well. I've been tested for cancer twice but they said they didn't find anything. But I would like to get a second opinion. The bruises I have are dark blue & purple. But there starting to turn a brownish green color & it's scaring me to death. A friend of mine had lukemia a few years back. And she started to get bruises all over her.
|

replied August 8th, 2011
I get the same exact thing.. most of the time they show up after i run.. so it prob your new workout routine.. i got all the bloodwork and everything you could imagine.. most likely a circulation problem, just do a lot of stretching your legs and back
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied October 18th, 2011
I've got the same thing only mine turned out to be leukemia
|

replied October 18th, 2011
I've got the same thing
|

replied October 23rd, 2011
You're probably lacking platelets, a condition that can be caused by many things including but not limited to leukemia. I had it happen randomly for about 4 months then my body figured it out. Look up ITP. Call your doctor right away. Mine was life threatening by the time I went in. Yours may not be serious but a quick blood test will tell you loads.
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
Bruised what did you find out?
|

replied August 16th, 2012
Unexplained leg bruising
i know this is an old thread - but i had the EXACT same thing happen to me after walking not overly hard but moderately. My sister did some research and told me vitamin deficiencies can cause this - so i started taking a multi vitamin and within a day or two was already seeing improvements (took still a week or so for all the bruises to fade) but the vitamins definitely helped - so if anyone else has this happen try a good multivitamin like centrum.

My legs were bad, started with a couple of moderate sized but heavy bruises and soon my entire leg was purple on each leg and dark and bruised and just UGLY - looked like I'd been hit by a car or severely beaten but all I did was walk! But the multivitamins started working almost immediately to improve them.
|

replied December 27th, 2012
Bruises appeared on left left out of nowhere! help!
Hoping someone will still be reading this old post... I got in a car accident about 2 weeks ago. Worst I've found out so far is a concussion. Went to the ER today for head pressure and headache, they gave me a brain scan and drew some blood from left arm to check sodium?. Everything came back normal. I got home a few hours later and noticed many bruises appeared on my left leg, mainly the lower back part. Some are dark and large and some are small and reddish. I never showed any bruising or had pain on that side after the accident before tonight. Actually, it was my right leg that was hurt after the accident, which has mainly healed at this point.

I've been talking tylenol every few hours the past few days for headaches and took my 600mg ibuprofen earlier today since I found out no internal bleeding was present in the brain. Any ideas what can cause this random bruising tonight? I am very worried! Hope someone responds... thanks!!
|

replied December 27th, 2012
Bruises appeared on left leg out of nowhere! help!
Hoping someone will still be reading this old post... I got in a car accident about 2 weeks ago. Worst I've found out so far is a concussion. Went to the ER today for head pressure and headache, they gave me a brain scan and drew some blood from left arm to check sodium?. Everything came back normal. I got home a few hours later and noticed many bruises appeared on my left leg, mainly the lower back part. Some are dark and large and some are small and reddish. I never showed any bruising or had pain on that side after the accident before tonight. Actually, it was my right leg that was hurt after the accident, which has mainly healed at this point.

I've been talking tylenol every few hours the past few days for headaches and took my 600mg ibuprofen earlier today since I found out no internal bleeding was present in the brain. Any ideas what can cause this random bruising tonight? I am very worried! Hope someone responds... thanks!!
|

replied April 29th, 2013
leg bruising
I noticed I was getting the same thing. Bruises all over my legs and thighs as if I were beaten up. my doctor told me that all my vitamin levels were low. After I started taking my vitamins regularly I was fine. That is until I had an energy drink. I noticed the bruises came back severely after taking energy drinks. I'm assuming because its loaded with sugar which blocks vitamins. anyway after loading up on greens and making sure I took my vitamins, the bruises slowly disapear again.
I learned this because it was a pattern. I didnt learn my lesson the first time. Assumed if I drank only party of an energy drink, or try a few different brands, I'd be fine. LOL. so I've definitely been able to pinpoint the source and the solution. Now it's up to me to stop doing it to myself... *sigh*
|
Quick Reply