Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Bruise Not Dissappearing?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
Hello again eHealth forum. I would like to know if this is a normal healing span for my type of bruise.

In May I fell down my basement steps, and along with many other bruises, I obtained a giant bruise on the top of my left thigh. This bruise would occasionally change shape (I had fun finding out what it looked like LOL!) and rotate colour changes. It hurt so much that it made my eyes tear up while trying to walk, so I imagine the fall tore the muscle a bit.
Anyway, the bruise started to go away in June, but was slow and still painful for a few weeks. Now almost at the end of July, it is not gone, though looks TONS better, and is MUCH smaller and is purple instead of a gross mixture alike to chewed skittles.

P.S.
It was shaped like a dolphin XD
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Homeway,

Deep thigh contusions can take a long time to resolve. There is a lot of muscle there to tear. A hematoma develops within the muscle and other soft tissues, and it then has to be resorbed.

Hopefully, you are doing okay in terms of knee motion. Deep thigh contusions can sometimes heal with quite a bit a scar tissue, and as such, cause a decrease in knee flexion. Also, in rare cases, myositis ossificans traumatica can set up, where the body actually forms a bone within the thigh muscles after a significant contusion. This is most often seen in athletes, such as football players.

So, yes it can take a long time for all of the blood to be resorbed after a significant contusion. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply