Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

brown spotting & bright red bleeding

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
My period started as brown spotting for two days & then BRIGHT red (light). I cannot understate the brightness of the red. I read that this trend (brown to very bright red) may have been a sign that my egg was fertilized and then, due to an accident, it was lost and then shed. I also read that the brightness of the red may be a sign of a broken blood vessel but I don't know what this means.

I am curious to know what may have happened. I am trying to have a baby and am simply hungry for more information about my body.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mhannon
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2009
RE:
I have the same problem. In the morning my blood was brown and there was only a very small amount. After a couple of hours I started to have some very bright red bleeding and it has been very light. Most of what comes out seems to be in small clots.

I am trying to have a baby as well but have recently discovered huge brown bruises on my body and was told that I was possibly anemic. Could Anemia have anything to do with this?
|

replied July 16th, 2009
Experienced User
i have had a similar problem. had brown spotting, then it turned red and was quite light. it continued tho and got heavier and lasted nearly 4wks. i'm waiting 2 b refered 2 gynae as have been tested 4 thyroid probs and infections and all is clear. i too am ttc. i don't think anaemia can have anything 2 do with the actual bleed but mayb it could affect the colour. i'm not sure.
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2009
thats sort of whats happening to mem yesterday it wasnt like a spot of blood but it was alot of thick brown mixed with blood & clots but you could hardly tell it was red. It only happened once & . then the clotting stopped. then l bled a little bit red today enough to sock a pad. l just went to the bath room and l have a red spot of the pad. when l wiped l got a blood and few little clots. what does it mean?
|

replied November 9th, 2011
o no
I am having the same problem. I started off with very little brown spotting, then dark thick brown blood that looked black with clots , now its bright red and brown? is it old blood? am i pregnant? is it leftover blood from when i got the mirena taken out? or did i miscarry?
|

replied April 15th, 2012
/:
Same problem here. Brown clumpy discharge and than bright red kinda heavy. Only with on and off severe cramps. I dont know whats going on!
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2012
Experienced User
my period was late, but then the day and a half after it is normally (always like clockwork) it was brown and VERY light :/ i was worried, it happend for 2 days then today i got period pains and light bright red blood, but normally its heavy and starts from day 1 of my period. very worried
|

replied September 30th, 2012
Green... That's what is happening to me. Did u ever find out what was wrong?
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2012
Experienced User
chemical pregnancy (which isnt a real pregnancy). thats wat my doc says. but a month later i got pregnant for real.
|

replied October 11th, 2013
I have had brown spotting for 5 days and this morning when I woke up it was red and then right after I peed it turned back to brown...I was supposed to have my period September 29 but didn't get it but I did have some brown spotting during that time/week.I did have unprotected sex on September 7 and I got a birth control shot on October 2...and I also had brown spotting from September 20-24...what could this be?!?!?!
|