Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Am I Pregnant Forum

brown period - what does this mean?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
i've just recently started having sex with my boyfriend and on more than one ocassion we've had unprotected sex. we've always stopped before he ejaculated though.
my period was right on time except this time it's different. it's not normal red blood, but it's brown and really light. i'm not on any kind of pill or anything either. i am having a few cramps, nothing too painful, but the only problem is that i never get cramps.
i'm just really scared as to what this means. it's never happened before and when i asked a few of my friends it had never happened to them either. i could really use some help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper newgirl42
|

replied July 28th, 2009
Hi there i am having the exact same symptoms as you and i dont know whats going on either..I took a pregnancy test and the results were negative but i dont think i waited long enough.
|

replied February 17th, 2012
Am I pregnant
Ian having the same problem. I had a pregnancy test to and it was negative. I am hopping I am pregnant. But Ian having that like dark brownish red blood spotting. Maybe it was to early to test.
|

replied July 28th, 2009
I got the same thing a couple of months back after having unprotected sex and I got scared as well, but I found out from different people over the internet that the brown discharge could be old blood and your uterus is just cleaning itself out.

I got my actual period a week late though, but I've always been irregular so that could have been just me. However, don't take what I say as a rule because it could also be implantation bleeding =S
|

replied November 17th, 2009
Confused
I am not supposed to start my period for 3 more days, however, I had some brown/red spotting today. I did have unprotected sex about 17 days ago, but the only syptom I have had is breast tenderness the past week (I figured PMS). Does this just mean my body is cleaning itself before my period starts, or is it implantation? Is it too soon to take a pregnancy test?
|

replied November 19th, 2009
Could i be pregnant and have dark brown and reddish periods
i have unprotected sex alot with my boyfriend, and last month i had a normal period but this month it started on the 17th and was very light and a brownish color and ended that same night. the next morning it started again and was heavier for the rest of the day and ended again. today it has pretty much been gone but will start for a little bit every now and again, also it is reddish brown but mostly red. could this mean i am pregnant? or that im just having an unusual cycle. i have been having breast tenderness and at the moment have a UTI, so i am a little concerned. someone helP please?
|

replied April 23rd, 2010
brown discharge
i had unprotected sex 3 weeks ago right after my period and now i had my period again 2 weeks after i jst had it and im gettn a bit concenered because its brown and red and has been going on for more then 5 days i took a pregnacy test and it said i was negavtive but i really dont know im only 15 so i can go to the doctors or my mum would find out
|

replied July 28th, 2010
I had unprotected sex almost 2 weeks ago. I started my period right after sex and it wasnt the color it usually was, but instead it was somewhat brown and it only lasted 3 days. It had came 4 days early and I am usually right on time. I have been having my period for 6 years now and this is very abnormal for me. I'm not on birth control (hints to the unprotected sex) and I had no access to the morning after pill. I have had a light cramping and headaches the past few days and need to know whether to worry or not
|

replied July 28th, 2010
This to the original poster: Newgirl42
I am having the same problem and I really believe it is implantation bleeding but I am not a medical expert, so my advice is to retest again in a week and if it comes up negative but you feel you are pregnant, then seeing your doctor will clear things up. I wish you the best of luck Wink

This is to everyone else:

I don't want to sound rude, but everyone time I go in and read someone's question to give them advice I see people asking their own question instead of helping the person who originally posted. Everyone is here for the same reasons and we all want to help each other, but if you have a question, PLEASE MAKE YOUR OWN POST. Thanks.
|

replied October 8th, 2011
i started my period 3 days ago and it was light and hardly anything just brownish dishcharge with a little red color. was like that till this morning woke up and my tampon was all brownish and red and covered the whole tampon. have cramping but never had this before what does this mean?
|

replied May 11th, 2012
Help:/
I'm having the same problem me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex and 2 days later I got my period then I stopped 2 days later with brown spotting which is very unusual for me whereas I normally bleed heavily for weeks please help! Btw I am hoping to get pregnant but I don't know when I should take a ptest I really hope for a positive result because we've been trying and I'm loosing hope that I can even get pregnant:( a response would be greatly appreciated! And baby dust to all!
|

replied August 1st, 2012
Hey! Did any of you guys end up being pregnant? X
|

replied January 31st, 2013
I have been on Levlen for 4 months or so and been having sex without a condom. Last month I missed the pill and had sex the day after since then my periods have been a brownish colour and have been really light. I have been feeling off for the past few days and it seems to be getting worse. I don't know what's going on with my body.
|

replied April 21st, 2013
Hey me and my boyfriend had protected sex but I'm really worried the condom might not of worked or broke I'm only 15 and can't get pregnant I was due my period 1 week ago and I'm never on time and I started my period today&it was light and a brownish colour somone help I can't go to the doctors cus then my mom will find out can someone help me or give me some advice?
|

replied April 23rd, 2013
Learn how to spell women! I'm having the same issue though. And it is simply the hormonal change after having unprotected sex. Your body is not used to the new substances entering your body and is reacting differently because if it.
|