Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Brown discharge, no period (always had an irregular period)

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I'm 19 and I have always had an irregular period, sometimes it'd take 3-4 months till I get the next one and sometimes it'd come about a month after my last. I went to a doctor a couple years ago (About 2 years after my first period) and got an ultra sound, he said everything was normal and that my period should eventually become regular with time, but it never has and I haven't gotten any checkups since. I took birth control pills for almost two weeks, during which my boyfriend and I did things (we only did this once and it was the closest I'd ever been to sex); like rubbing, fingers, but he never went inside me and my hymen is still not broken, but he did ejaculate and a bit came on me. I stopped the pill about 3 or 4 days latter and got my period a few days after that. But that was the last time I got my period and haven't since. I took a home pregnancy test 2 months after this and it was negative, but it's been over 3 and a half months since I last had my period. Normally I wouldn't worry with my irregular periods, but I thought I did 2 days ago when I found brown discharge (Which I thought was old blood) on my underwear (Although I usually get cramps before my period and I haven't had any abdominal pain at all), but I don't think it's blood and it's still there, sometimes and very little, so it's not constant like a period. I have no idea what this brown discharge is and I can't see a doctor as I'm overseas, studying in a third world country and will be for about a year. Also, I'm eating very unhleathy fastfood (though my body is used to that by now) and I'm thin so it has nothing to do with obesity.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2010
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Dark brown bleeding that you have can be associated with a number of causes. Each cause is different and needs further examination, investigations to come to exact cause or confirm. The causes of brown or black vaginal discharge may be due to:
1) Menopause-not possible in your case since you are young.
2) Pelvic inflammation-possible since you have been sexually active.
3) Sexually transmitted disease such as vaginal warts, gonorrhea- possible since you are sexually active.
4) Birth control pills can also be one of the causes of black or brown vaginal discharge- if you are on regular pills or repeated contraceptive use.
5) Stress related problems may also cause brown discoloration of vaginal flow- This can happen in anybody's case.
6) Retained menses-Possible in your case for old endometrial lining to come out. Oxidized blood resulting in brown bleeding
7) Pregnancy-As continuous or intermittent spotting.
8) Miscarriage-Possible if has been increasing and is present along with cramps.
9) Cancer-Rare in your age, but cannot be ruled out.
If the black discharge is due to late period then it is the result of blood being oxidized, nothing much can be done, you will have to wait till you get your next period.
Visit a gynecologist for a thorough check along with blood work-up, hormonal analysis and ultrasound scan and Pap smear test to come to the exact cause for the brown bleeding.
Take care.

|

Madhumita Paul wrote:
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Dark brown bleeding that you have can be associated with a number of causes. Each cause is different and needs further examination, investigations to come to exact cause or confirm. The causes of brown or black vaginal discharge may be due to:
1) Menopause-not possible in your case since you are young.
2) Pelvic inflammation-possible since you have been sexually active.
3) Sexually transmitted disease such as vaginal warts, gonorrhea- possible since you are sexually active.
4) Birth control pills can also be one of the causes of black or brown vaginal discharge- if you are on regular pills or repeated contraceptive use.
5) Stress related problems may also cause brown discoloration of vaginal flow- This can happen in anybody's case.
6) Retained menses-Possible in your case for old endometrial lining to come out. Oxidized blood resulting in brown bleeding
7) Pregnancy-As continuous or intermittent spotting.
Cool Miscarriage-Possible if has been increasing and is present along with cramps.
9) Cancer-Rare in your age, but cannot be ruled out.
If the black discharge is due to late period then it is the result of blood being oxidized, nothing much can be done, you will have to wait till you get your next period.
Visit a gynecologist for a thorough check along with blood work-up, hormonal analysis and ultrasound scan and Pap smear test to come to the exact cause for the brown bleeding.
Take care.

It's very hard for me to visit a gynecologist till I go back to the states, so am looking for an online diagnosis for now. I'm not sure if the brown (it's brown not black) discharge is blood, I don't think it is, I don't know what it is, and it's very little, and more like spotting. Also, I am not exactly sexually active, it was a one time thing and my hymen has never been penetrate (he never attempted to get into my vagina)... Anything I can rule out or be concerned of?
|

User Profile
Hello,
And welcome back to ehealthforum.
Online diagnosis is not possible in your case as it requires examination and further testing/investigations. If you cannot visit a gynecologist, atleast visit a doctor/healthcare provider to get the blood HCG test and ultrasound scan done, it will give you some idea as to what the cause could be. Based on the investigation results, treatment can be prescribed to get back your periods.
Pregnancy is strong possibility if pre-cum (lubrication fluid or pre-ejaculatory fluid) or semen came in close contact with vagina. Sperms are known to be contained in pre-cum, and sperms swim up towards uterus and tubes to fertilize the egg if present at that time in your body (egg once released from ovary can be alive upto 5-6 days and sperms can stay alive if inside you for about 72 hours). It is not necessary for hymen to be broken for sperms to enter inside (sperms are microscopic and hymen has passage for menstrual blood to flow out).
Take care.
|
Users who thank Madhumita Paul for this post: bb21 

replied January 13th, 2011
Black/Brown discharge, light bleeding for 6 days on and off
Dr Madhumita,

Is it possible for the egg to stay alive for 5-6 days?

(egg once released from ovary can be alive upto 5-6 days and sperms can stay alive if inside you for about 72 hours).

I've heard that the eggs only stay alive for 6-12h and that the sperm can stay alive for several days?

The reason why I am asking this is because I've had spotting now (table spoon worth whcih decreased day by day), quite dark almost black on 2nd day. It keeps stopping and starting and it has done that for the past 6 days now. I have no pain in my tummy nor any swelling (which I normally get every month around time of ovulation or period). I can't feel a thing. The spotting came on the day when I was expecting my period and I am worried that it may be something wrong but was told it can be hormonal imbalance? I have taken several pregnancy tests and they've all been negative.
Three months ago I went through IUI with 50 I.U. Puregon and trigger shot and the past 4 cycles previous to this one I seemed a little overstimulated as I got sore and painful breasts after thre triggers but I still bled like normal and it is not until this month that I've got the brown spotting.
I'm wondering what you think it is most likely to be causing this and what I should ask my doctor to check? I'm 35 turning 36 in three months. I did have genital wart which was removed when I was 20, they detected some cellchanges when they did a test but it all settled. I have fairly recently had a smear test done (last year) which came out negative. I am still worried though.

Thanks

My partner and I haven't had as much sex this month
|

replied February 13th, 2012
after i had a baby and i started haveing a period it would only last for 2 to 3 days and it would be a brownish color is that something 2 be worried about
|

replied April 2nd, 2013
I have been experiencing continous flow of "the brown thing" for one month now.. My period was delayed for a month as well.. Would like to seek some advice on what's really going on with me? I had a sexual intercouse once prior to this delay-of-period thing and im also taking a pill called acnetrex for my acne for a month now too. Took the pregnancy test two weeks ago and it gave me a negative result. Shall I continue to take another pregnancy test? Shall I stop taking my meds for my pimples? What am I supposed to do with this? Help please?
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2013
hi
can i join i just want to share my problem also ikt's kind the same to their problem also,i have discharge coming from my vagina the color is brown,i am taking birth control for couple months now.my menstruation isn't normal since i start taking birth control.This discharge worries me a lot.so hopefully you could give me advice.

i am waiting for your reply thanks
avegel Smile
|

replied June 20th, 2013
same problem
ive been having the exact same problem for about 4 weeks now, i had intercourse before i started experiencing this problem, im also taking birth control pills. its not lots but its continues brown spotting and worries me a great deal. ive been looking online because im to nervous to go and see a doctor about it.
|

replied July 15th, 2013
I came across this while researching my own issue. I have had continuous dark brown discharge/spotting for a few weeks now. I am 44 yrs. old and am NOT currently having sex at all. I am wondering if it could be related to pre menopause. My last period seemed normal and I am now due for another one but the dark brown discharge has been happening all month. Is this a cause for concern? Would love a reply.
|

replied July 15th, 2013
I came across this while researching my own issue. I have had continuous dark brown discharge/spotting for a few weeks now. I am 44 yrs. old and am NOT currently having sex at all. I am wondering if it could be related to pre menopause. My last period seemed normal and I am now due for another one but the dark brown discharge has been happening all month. Is this a cause for concern? Would love a reply.
|

replied August 19th, 2013
brown discharge for several days
Well I dont know if im exaggerating or what but within a month I have had sex 4 times and im not sure if my partner cummed in me or not or even drips. Well its pasted my period date and for the last 4 days im havng brown discharge I dont know what to do?? Am pregnant? Im scared to take a test.
|

replied November 23rd, 2013
I'm having irregular periods due to pcod problem for more than 10 yrs.. i got married 3yrs before,while taking treatment for pregnancy, i have undergone a laprascopic surgery to remove a block in my fallopian tube last year. .now after 4 months(from last periods)for one week i'm getting brown discharge.. i'm much worried abt this since i'm eagerly expecting a baby...since we are shifted to a new place for job i'm not able to consult my family doctor.. plz help me..
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.