|Madhumita Paul wrote:|
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Dark brown bleeding that you have can be associated with a number of causes. Each cause is different and needs further examination, investigations to come to exact cause or confirm. The causes of brown or black vaginal discharge may be due to:
1) Menopause-not possible in your case since you are young.
2) Pelvic inflammation-possible since you have been sexually active.
3) Sexually transmitted disease such as vaginal warts, gonorrhea- possible since you are sexually active.
4) Birth control pills can also be one of the causes of black or brown vaginal discharge- if you are on regular pills or repeated contraceptive use.
5) Stress related problems may also cause brown discoloration of vaginal flow- This can happen in anybody's case.
6) Retained menses-Possible in your case for old endometrial lining to come out. Oxidized blood resulting in brown bleeding
7) Pregnancy-As continuous or intermittent spotting.
Miscarriage-Possible if has been increasing and is present along with cramps.
9) Cancer-Rare in your age, but cannot be ruled out.
If the black discharge is due to late period then it is the result of blood being oxidized, nothing much can be done, you will have to wait till you get your next period.
Visit a gynecologist for a thorough check along with blood work-up, hormonal analysis and ultrasound scan and Pap smear test to come to the exact cause for the brown bleeding.