Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Brown Discharge instead of period? Dayquil/Nyquil?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hello. I've been on Azurette birth control pills for around 5 months now. About 3 weeks ago, I had a cold that was made worse by a rabbit allergy, so I ended up taking a lot of liquid Dayquil and Nyquil (The Walgreen's version). I continued taking my pills as normal, have never missed any. I usually don't start my period until the last day of placebo pills or the first day of the next pack. But this time, on the day I was supposed to start, I just had a brown discharge. Not enough to even bother with a pad or tampon. I only see it when I have to wipe after going to the bathroom. It's been like this for 3 days now. Since I've been on the pills, I've had a light period, but it's always been red. Now it's a tan-ish brown color. My boyfriend and I had sex on a couple of the days I was sick, and a few times the week after. Could the liquid Day/Ny-Quil have effected my pills? Could I be pregnant? Or did the couple weeks of taking that stuff have just messed with my period? Please Help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kristigraham
|

replied January 5th, 2012
Community Volunteer
DayQuil/NyQuil does not affect the protection from the pill.

It can just be because of the stress from being sick.
|

replied January 7th, 2012
That's what I thought. I was just worried because I had taken a lotttt of the liquid stuff. I mean, I took the proper dosage, but about 3 bottles of the Dayquil and 2 of the Nyquil. I was just worried that taking it for so long may have affected me.

I now the discharge has stopped, but I haven't gotten any real period. :/
|

replied January 9th, 2012
i have the implantation and myn 'periods' are usually just brown discharge, i rarely have a proper period, which tends to last like 2 days.
|