Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Brown Discharge after period.

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I had my 3rd baby 4 months ago, and ever since I had her my periods have been weird. I get them and their heavy and last about 7 days, then when the bleeding stops I get this brown discharge that stays for about a week after my period. My last period which was two weeks ago, and I have the brown discharge again only it hasn't gone away. Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile CuriousTiff
|

User Profile
replied October 13th, 2011
It's remaining blood from your period. After I had my son, I was given the Depo shot for birth control. All my periods after that were only brown discharge for a while. I still get it every now and then.
|

User Profile
I still get my period, it's red. But after 7 days of it, it turns into a brown discharge that usually lasts a week after my period. This time it's been two weeks and I get my period again in 14 days. I'm not on birth control or anything. I did have 3 c-sections so idk if that has anything to do with it or if it's because this is my third baby?
|

User Profile
I bet it's safe to say it's hormone fluctuations that are causing it. It is odd, but if you aren't having any other worrisome symptoms, like pain or fever. It's brown only because the iron in your blood meets oxygen in your vagina (believe it or not, lol) and turns brown. So the period may have continued very lightly. I wouldn't worry too much, it is super annoying though!
|

User Profile
Thank you! That makes me feel a whole lot better! I have been getting really annoyed by it. I just want it to go away lol. I only have the discharge, no other symptoms. Thanks again for helping me!
|

replied October 14th, 2011
Experienced User
Brown discharge after period is not always a cause of concern as late period can also lead to brown, dark red and/or dark brown discharge during and after period. Most of the times brown discharge after period is often related with the endometrial tissues (lining of the uterus which gives way to the menstrual bleeding during every period). Remnants of the older endometrial tissues can lead to brown discharge, which we can also call as cleaning process of the uterus, by letting out the older tissues for newer ones.
|