Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

brown blood at beginning of period (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Sorry if this is too much information, but I thought I'd write anything down that might possibly be relevant. Thanks for your help in advance!

I've had brown blood for my period for four/five days, and now it seems my actual periods (red blood) is just starting. What exactly is "old blood"? And could this be old blood right at the start of my period?

My period was due probably Tuesday/Wednesday, but a few days later is nothing out of the ordinary. I got my period on Friday mid morning - I had inserted the menstrual cup early friday morning so as to avoid any accidents at my graduation and so didn't know until around midday when I emptied the cup. I took neurofen on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning as I was feeling cramps. Friday night I emptied the cup again and noticed the menstrual blood was browner and more watery than usual. I thought nothing of it as my period has just started. I continue to use the menstrual cup, emptying it 2-3 times a day as usual, and the blood is still fairly brown and not as thick as usual. Tuesday night, my menstrual blood was looking a whole lot redder and the cramps came again - I never get cramps in the middle of my period. I've no idea what my body's doing! Wednesday (today) my period is heavier and normal-looking in colour (dark red) - similar flow to what I would get on the 2nd day of my period.

My period usually lasts 6 or 7 days, but becomes much lighter towards the end. I've been using the menstrual cup for a couple of months now and it works really great - I've had no trouble with it. I'm seventeen. I'm a virgin, and I'm not on any kind of medication or birth control. I eat right and am only slightly overweight. No other symptoms other than cramps.

Should I talk to my mum or see a doctor?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Maddie34
|

User Profile
replied October 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
No, some women experience a brownish discharge before their period starts.
It's normal, and not really any reason for concern.

You may want to consider birth control, it would lighten up your periods a little and make it shorter.
|
Users who thank Maddie34 for this post: friday 

replied October 2nd, 2008
Thanks for the reply, Maddie. Smile
|

replied August 12th, 2010
period
see i think i have just started i have been getting brown STICKY stuff tho and dont kno if its normal
|

replied August 16th, 2010
mines brown nnd sticky too buh im not a virgin buh have the implant in xo
|

replied November 14th, 2011
no period on leven ed but 1 day of brownish blood then stops
hi 8 months ago i started the levlen ed got my period always 3 days in the none active pill.But im so worried that now i only have it for 1 day and is brownish blood by morning excample they completing stop.done pregnancy test it was negative now its a new month and the same thing again 1 day shouldnt even say 1 day maybe a few hours lol.i have done all up 4 peggy test help ty
|

replied February 11th, 2012
Hey guys. Yes, before your period it's completely normal to have brown blood, and when you end your period to have brown blood. Yes, that is called the 'old blood'. Almost everyone has this. I've had about 4 periods only in my life, I don't know if i'm normal yet, actually i'm on my period right now. Im about to turn 13 , I didnt have a period for like 4 months after the 1st one I had, then i had one and i've been having them once a month since then. The months are regular I believe but they last 7-9 days and are very heavy, so i dont think that is normal. Yes, take birth control into consideration, it makes your periods regulate to about every 3 months. Me and My Mom we're taking birth control into consideration for me, so was my doctor but were going to wait several more years. Hope this makes you feel better about your period Thx!
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
Brownish Blood
I'm almost 25 y/o. Started getting my period when I was in the 5th grade. So this is the 1st time I've ever seen brown spotting before my period. (Yesterday was just small brown spottings kinda sticky, today it's a little more watery but still brown.) I'm not sexually active. My period has always lasted only 3 to 4 days and I only cramp during the 1st day. I've been getting slight cramps on and off for maybe a week. Prayerfully by tomorrow (or maybe even later on today) this brown blood clears up, & I flow normally. BTW, Thanks for all the input ladies, I do feel better, as I have never experienced this before. Thank God for google! LOL! Wink
|

replied September 24th, 2012
Yes I have the same thing but mine isnt light it is more thick is this normal? And for the week I have been experiencing slight cramps here and there then I woke up this morning and it wasnt covering my whole pad but the side of it was brown and spread out and not black but pretty dark is it normal to have it dark and spread out?
|

replied October 12th, 2012
phiffany
Ok i came on last month a week early. Now this month i came on four days early and it thicks
Brown discharge with a light color blood. Also my breast was very tender and sore and a little nausea im 19 and sexual active i jst want to know can i be pregnant i'm scared...
|

replied October 21st, 2012
if you are getting your period then you can not be pregnant. Slight tenderness of the breasts a few days before your periods is natural so you don't have to worry about that either.
|

replied May 6th, 2013
You CAN have your period WHILE pregnant. It is not uncommon. Some women can have their periods all throughout their pregnancies.
|

replied October 22nd, 2012
Please be wary of who answers questions on the internet.

You absolutely could be pregnant if you are sexually active. You can also have some bleeding when you're pregnant. It's true, what you listed above are signs.

However, that doesn't mean you ARE pregnant; those symptoms are also normal symptoms of the menstrual cycle. Please get checked soon, it's the only true way to know for sure.
|

replied October 27th, 2012
irregular period
I have had my period for about 2 years and I haven't ever really had an irregular period until this month. I had dark brown stuff in my pad this month and it lasted for about 4 days and after that my blood was a regular coulor. In total my period (including the 4 days where the blood was dark brown) has lasted 10 days. Normally, it only lasts about 5-7. Should I be getting worried about it?
|

replied January 28th, 2013
hi everyone
Hi! I have a 1 year old baby girl and since i gave birth my period wasnt back.... Two days ago.. it finally came but its not heavy at all and its kind of brownish...dark... I dont know if its normal or i should see the doctor....
|

replied February 3rd, 2013
Be careful with the birth control. Prolonged use tends to cause lumps later that can lead to breast cancer, some 20 years later, when you think the effects of the birth control pills you took so long ago, should no longer have an affect on you.

As for starting one month and then nothing for a few months, the same thing happened to me a little over 30 years ago, when I first started. My mother thought the worst, but I was a virgin, I wasn't pregnant. However, until my 2nd period came on 2-3 months later, it was touch and go as to whether or not she would believe me...
|

replied March 6th, 2013
Im having the same problem, its brown and sticky only when i wipe, i wear a pad just in case my actual period starts, is this normal? im kind of worried ... any help would be greatly appreciated please.
|

replied March 14th, 2013
Im 19 and I had a miscarrige a year ago and when my periods started back after the miscarrige it was normal red...but i just recently started having sex with my boyfriend and now my period started out a very dark brown almost blackish color and closer to the end it got lighter....should I have any worries???
|

replied March 14th, 2013
Im 19 and I had a miscarrige a year ago and when my periods started back after the miscarrige it was normal red...but i just recently started having sex with my boyfriend and now my period started out a very dark brown almost blackish color and closer to the end it got lighter....should I have any worries???
|

replied May 15th, 2013
Period
I started getting m period yesterday and i was wondering i its normal to have brown sticky stuff on my pad is this normal????
|

replied June 2nd, 2013
period
Its completely normal. I'm 26 and every month it changes, sometimes its brown in the beginning ... sometimes its pink and slimy and sometimes at the END its brown. and I'm completely healthy yet sexually active. its completely normal. your body Will never do the same thing each time yet sometimes it Will. and if you are around other girls a lot, your period Will try to sync up to theirs and I've noticed when that happens and I start early, it Will be brown as well. it happens. no big deal.
|

replied August 23rd, 2013
Im 25 with 2 kids and ive had 5 miscarriages.. ive always had a brown discharge on the 6th & 7th day of my cycle.. I DID have a period for 2 months into my 1st pregnancy which as a result i didnt know i was pregnant until the 2nd trimester.. ive never had brown discharge at the beginning of a cycle but i am now.. I dont know if Im pregnant because home tests never seemed to work and it seems to premature to go running to the doc.. ive heard that its normal (in some cases).. Im not having cramps & i generally have bad ones on the first couple days of my cycle.. My breasts are sore which is unusual for me.. I dont want to get overworked about something that could be nothing, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks
|
12 >>