Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Broken toe from 8 months ago still very painful...

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I broke my middle toe while studying abroad and so treatment was little to none. When I broke it the toe was crooked, but a man pulled on it, getting it back to its "normal" shape. I did ice, elevate, and buddy wrap it. An x-ray was taken and to me it looked like a relatively simple non-displaced toe fracture at the 3rd middle phalange. They misdiagnosed it though and said it wasn't broken (the doctor at home saw the fracture right away, so it was there) HOWEVER!

It is now 8 months later and I still cannot bend the toe (it is very painful to try) but I literally cannot bend it, it is almost solid underneath. I can bend it sideways though, as well as backward. Especially regarding backwards, it seems to go backwards at the first joint (closest to toe nail) way too easy, much easier than the rest of my toes. I do feel the toe contract when I try to bend it though, so I think that might signal that my tendons and all are still connected?

Once I got home from abroad another x-ray was taken, but the fracture seemed nicely healed. It still hurts very much to try and bend it, when I hit it wrong on something, etc. The toe, just from a visual comparison to the other foot, is much thicker at the base now.

My question is: what could be causing the toe not to bend? Is there anything that can be done to fix this? I take it that re-breaking the bone wouldn't do much, as it "healed nicely" the first time... I'm stumped but 8 months of this is just too long!!!

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|