Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Broken titanium rod in arm

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
7 yrs. ago I ad an auto accident, broke my left arm, the orthopedic surgeon put a plate in my srm, several weeks later I ah a staff infection in the arm, back to surgery to open wound and clean it I was on heavy meds and a pic line to clear the infection. Last year my arm was giving me pain and then two weeks ago, somethink didn't feel right and lots of pain. I returned to the surgeon (he is no long doing surger). The X-rays showed my arm never bonded and the titanium rod is broke. Now I have to have surgewry next Monday I did reqest that I want the rod once it has been removed. Is it usual for a titanium rod to break in half, possibly a defective rod?
I have an appt. with an attorney to see if there is a possible case here. I would appreciate any information that would be of help.

Thank you
Maria Savage
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2009
Titanium Rods
I also have broke a bone ( my right arm ) and I had two titanium rods put in my radius and ulna from the elbow to the wrist. Im having a few pains in it aswell , when I went to the hospital to see the surgeon and have a few x-rays . He said it was because I was still growing and that because I was young at the time my arm was not fully grown. The doctors were very helpful but they speak a load of bull - that was my third time in the hospital because I did plan to have them out . But they said if I broke it after then - this is the exact quote - they might get 'egg' on there face . If I were you Id take the opt for surgery and stay safe.
|

replied March 24th, 2012
When I was 8 I broke my arm so badly they had to put a titanium plate with rods and bolts in my arm,
When I was 14 I was in an accident which caused the plate and rods to snap and therefor they was replaced,
Then when I was 16 I had them all replaced agen, im now 22 years old and I still have these in my arm (elbow to wrist) and the past few months my arm has been very painfull and keeps cramping so I crnt move it for hours at a time, its very inconvieniant as I cannot pik up my baby when he cries, any ideas on what to do??
|

replied September 24th, 2010
radial head injury
hi i did have a titauium radial head but it broke after five years. after my fouth op my doctors took it out and now i live without a radial head. my arm is stable and life is good.
|

replied May 24th, 2011
Broken Titanium Rod
My husbands titanium rod in his right hand broke after 3 wks of having surgery. The Dr. referred us to another Dr. to do the second surgery. He had another titanium rod put in as well. We never heard from the 1st Dr. ever again. I am trying to get an attorney on this. What do you think?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
ev1974,

Breakage of hardware is a known complication of any orthopedic surgery. Unless you can prove that the internal fixation was placed in a grossly negligent manner, and it caused you actual harm (not mental suffering), you don't really have much of a case. However, you can always find an attorney that will take your case on assignment. But, check your state laws, as several have put in laws that the loser pays the court costs. So, if you do not win, you would not have to pay the lawyer, but you may have to pay thousands in court costs.

Hope your husband is doing well.
|

replied May 11th, 2012
Titatium rod broke in arm
I too had titatium rod nailed from my elbow to my wrist in both bones in my left arm and after 6 months and no bone bridging, the rod broke on one side by a doctor that was assigned by the hospital that was, as I believe an employee of their orthopedic clinic since it had the same name as the hospital. Come to find out, they had fired him and was pressure to let him do the surgery to do a plate compression and bone graft. They said the rod broke because of the slow bone growth. I was 59 at the time and it is known we heal slower and I can't take hormones because cancer is in my family. I was tested for oste and wasn't told of the results, was blamed on my half a pack cigarette habit. The rod if it bend back and forth should have shown bending before breaking but it snapped clean and straight. I believe the rod was defective but didn't think I needed to have them give me the hardware. I do have the xray and am now pursueing a lawsuit. I have limited rotation. Can't open anything such as a milk cap or larger and have constant burning and popping in arm that causes pain.
|