Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Broken tibia & fibia

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I broke both bones 4 weeks ago and had an operation to place a rod and pins. I am still taking painkillers every 4hrs as the pain is horrendous at times. I get spasms and shaking in my leg especially after using the excercise bike, it also feels numb and tingly at times,and I get shooting/stabbing pains is this normal?. Also what's the recovery/healing time for this
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 15th, 2009
Community Volunteer
This you would have to address to the doctor at the top of the page or possibly ask your physician...Hopefully someone who reads this Forum and your post will be able to help you further on this...It really sounds sore...Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
I just broke my tib and fib on June 7th. I also got a rod inserted and 3 screws. I've been taking 4 motrin every 8hrs since a couple days after surgery. I get shaking every once in a while and the only real pain happens when I stand up. I'm not allowed to put pressure on it just yet, but when I get up on crutches I get an overwhelming surge of pain. I've found it is less if I swing or move my leg as I get up. I get the numbing/tingling feeling every once in a while too.

I've found most people online have really screwed their legs up. I pretty much had a clean break of both bones and am expected to start putting weight on it after 3-4 weeks and 6-8 weeks possibly no crutches. I start rehab this Friday.
|

replied November 10th, 2010
I broke both bones and have a rod inserted August 1st. At 13 weeks I am beginning to walk with no crutches part of the day. Ankle swells a lot but up till now I haven't had pain killers for the past 6 weeks, may need some with the pain walking at the end of the day and the swelling. Most of the pain was in my knee where they inserted the rod. The rod doesn't cause me any problems I don't feel it but noticed my bones are healed now but the leg is still swollen. PT has really helped me get the strength back.
|

replied November 28th, 2010
broken fibia and tibia
I broke my tibia and fibia on Nov. 7th and had surgery on the 8th, the doctor put a rod, pins and plate, I had a little pain for the first day, I haven't taken any pain pills for about 3 weeks, I have no pain. I am not allowed to put any weight on it till I see the Doctor on Dec.22, then he says therapy, I have a great Doctor.
|

replied March 16th, 2013
tib & fib T6 fracture
hi, i broke my tib and fib just below my left knee 3 weeks ago, god the pain was unbearable! i had ORIF surgery (rod & screws) 3 days after the break. i am now in a splint that allows 30% movement in my knee. i am on strong painkillers (morphine, codiene) but the pain is still very bad. sleeping at night is very difficult, and i have to wait at least 6 weeks before there is a chance i can put weight on it. i have to keep it elevated due to the swelling. is there anything i can do to relieve the pain or speed up the healing process? how long is the pain and discomfort likely to last and will my leg be as strong as before?
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
tsimpson,

Sorry about your injury.

If you are still having very significant pain (three weeks after surgery), you need to contact your surgeon.

It is to be expected that the patient will have significant pain for several days after surgery, but then it should start to gradually get better day after day. Many patients, by three weeks post-op, are mostly off of the strong opioids, expect maybe at night.

So, to still be having significant amounts of pain, you need to contact your surgeon. It may be that your cast/dressing needs to be changed and your wounds inspected for infection.

There are not a whole lot you can do to speed up healing, but you can slow it down.

Do not smoke. If you do not smoke, great. Don't take it up. If you do smoke, you might want to quit. Nicotine is the single most detrimental thing there is to fracture healing. It can slow it down significantly, and in some cases, cause the fracture to not heal at all.

Eat a proper diet. You need extra protein. Protein provides the building blocks needed for fracture and wound healing. You also need extra calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium, all needed for bone formation.

When your surgeon allows you to start weight bearing follow his/her instructions. Applying stress across the fracture can help to stimulate the body to heal the fracture. This is known as Wolff's Law - bone will respond to the stresses applied to it.

So, again, since you are still having a significant amount of pain, you need to contact your surgeon. It would be expected that by now, that you would be fairly comfortable, not totally pain free, but not in agony by any means. There has to be something going on. Surgical pain gets better as the days go by.

Good luck. Wishing you the best.
|
Quick Reply