Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

broken fibula - calf pain

I broke my fibula 5 daya ago. I have been told to rest and not put any weight on it. I have crutches and no plaster or anything. The pain from the break site, just below my knee only ccours if my leg moves to a certain position; which can usually be avoided. The problem is I am getting terrible aches in my calf muscle, this only began on the 3rd day after the break. If the leg is resting elevated it is ok, but as soon as I get up or put my leg down the calf really aches. Can i do anything to avoid this?
Many thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper eevie
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
Hey Eevie,
I've got the same deal - broke my Fibula 7 days ago. My ankle and knee are fine so no cast was put on and I was told to walk around on it a little to get the blood moving. It feels totally fine when I'm not walking on it but when I stand up or try to walk my calf aches. How long before you started feeling better?
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2012
Especially eHealthy
jpfeiffer,

Don't know if eevie will answer, as it has been a couple of months since he/she posted.

But, as to how long it will take before your calf stops aching, depends upon how much damage there is in your calf muscles. Remember, that when you fracture a bone, it is not the only thing injured. All of the soft tissues around the fracture are also damaged.

There are a lot of muscles that attach to the fibula, most of the lateral compartment. So, it is very common for the calf to ache after a fibula fracture (especially when you try to evert your ankle).

So, some patients only have discomfort for a few days, while in others, it takes several weeks for the discomfort to dissipate. It all depends upon how much damage occurred.

You should get better and better as time goes by. Hang in there.

Good luck.
|

replied June 24th, 2012
Hi I think the worst of it was the aching. For the first 2 weeks I was told to put no weight on my leg. It was a struggle getting about and the aching was awful, but as soon as I sat down and put my leg up the ache went. After 2 weeks I was able to put a little weight on it, but not my full weight, this made moving around so much easier, but it still really ached when I was standing. In bed I was able to sleep on my back and put my leg on a pillow for comfort. I actually slept quite well; in the first couple of weeks I woke with pain, but took painkillers and soon went back off to sleep. I think after 3 weeks I didn't need any painkillers at all. After 6 weeks I was told to walk on it, I had already been increasing the amount of weight I put on it; but only what felt comfortable with no pain, I was able to walk quite well, bit of a limp, but no real pain. The biggest problem was stretching out the muscles tendons etc. I was back in work after 6 weeks; I teach so I am up and down and walking around all the time. It did stil ache a bit, but when I could I sat and put my leg up. now after 12 weeks I am able to do most things, I haven't gone back to my Zumba classes yet, but I have done quite a lot of walking and been on my feet most of the day. It doesn't ache at all now, although it is still swollen. Bear with it, the ache gradually reduces and it's such a good feeling to walk without the crutches. It takes something like this to realise what we take for granted, it's awful when you can't do simple tasks for yourself. I'm sure you'l be fine.
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
eevie,

Remember, not just the bone is injured, but all of the soft tissues around it are also. So, the periosteum (the soft tissue cover on the bone) is torn, the muscles are ripped off their attachments, the fascia, tendons, nerves, blood vessels can all be injured.

So, there is a lot of scar tissue that forms in the lateral compartment, which is going to have to mature and soften/stretch.

If you are having a lot of problems with the leg swelling during the day, you may want to wear compression hose (like TED hose they use in the hospital) or support stockings. These can really decrease the amount of swelling. And as you are doing, elevation also works very well.

Good luck. Hopefully, the problems you are having will resolve with some more time.
|

replied September 30th, 2013
Calf pain
I am in terablie pain and durning the day it gets worse and worse I am a student so I am up and down a lot and I have gone to the doctor of not the worse pain is In the back of my calf. What do u thank.
|