On 4/14 I fel on my right leg and broke my fibula, spiral fracture to the very bottom of the tibia, and the xray shows that my ankle bone has displaced itself about 2mm from the tibia. The OS said my case is borderline because I could go either way, cast or surgery, and could be fine. If I do the surgery they wil put a metal plate to pull the space together so its not so big but I have a bit of anxiety with getting a piece of hardware in my ankle. If I choose a cast then I will be casteand for 6 weeks, above my knee, and then after the 6 weeks we can see if my ankle is ok. He didn't give me a clear choice in which one I should choose, he kept saying I am borderlined so it could go either way.
I just moved to another state so I don't have insurance set up yet so cost is a big factor. If I choose to get casted and wait until the 6 weeks can I still get the surgery if it is needed? Also, why does he want to put a cast above my knee? I won't be able to do anything if that happens, I won't even be able to get into the passenger seat of my car without being able to bend my leg. I know that I am on a long road to recovery but he wasn't clear on which road I should choose and now I am ful of indecision. The longer I wait I think the worse I will be in. He said that my fractures will heal in a cast, that is not the problem he is more interested in the 2mm spacing in my foot. Help?!