Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

broken bones if left untreated

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I have a hypothetical question I'd like to ask. What would happen to a person if they had a broken bone that they didn't seek immediate medical help for? If you could answer a range from a minor to a major break, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile mominashoe
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2008
Community Volunteer
You might want to post this in Orthopedics...

But it my opinion, the bone will fuse wherever it is still attached, severely broken or no. If the fracture is breaking the skin, left untreated, I'm sure gangrene would eventually take over and it would have to be amputated. Some hairline fractures can repair themselves if the person takes care not to put any sort of strain upon it until it is healed. It is more likely to successfully repair itself in babies and young children than in adults. Some broken bones, such as bones in the foot, sometimes are left untreated.

http://homeemergency.wordpress.com/2007/06 /28/fractures-broken-bones/
|

replied April 15th, 2009
It could be dangerous
untreated fractures could leave bone marrow exposed and release fat emboli which can cause inter cranial pressure, strokes, different blood clots and ultimately death.
|

replied November 21st, 2009
magic heal bone
I heard this man in Denver can heal broken bone. He claimed he can heal it in two week. Anyone want to try. I doubt it work but he pretty confidence the magic work. He'll do some chanting, light incenses and dip the incenses into a bowl of water. He then use the water to sprinkle over the area when it broke. He claimed this work. He charge $$$ for it. I am skeptical and much question it. No test has ever be done and he said two week but unlikely- bone in children takes about 4 - 6 weeks and for adult longer. Wish people would test it out and shut him up.
|

replied September 10th, 2014
Not a doctor
A broken bone can leak fatty tissue which can in theory get in the bloodstream and become lodged in the lungs as a pulmonary embolism or become the final straw for another blockage...just one pair of possibilities with various factors determining the probability, throw in some Ibuprofen and you can probably double your risk of a clot yet again.... Doctors love Ibuprofen and aren't afraid of clots because stopping pain and putting people back to work is the likely the top priority... When you consider how hard it is to get kidney, liver testing you wonder about the liberal application of dangerous blood clotting medications without a diligent look at underlying problems first
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2014
Experienced User
If it was severe, I guarantee you wouldn't skip the immediate treatment! My breaks were so severe and all the trauma associated with it, I was in un believable amounts of agony. I had to wait 8 hours before rushing me to surgery, and anytime I even breathed I could feel the bones crunching, and that was with it in a splint.=(
|
Tags: bone, bone break
Quick Reply