Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Broken blood vessels on back

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Monday morning I woke up, went to get into the shower and noticed something out of the corner of my eye. When I backed up in front of the mirror I was freaked out by what I saw. It appeared as if I had this huge red and purple blotch across almost the entire right side of my back running below my shoulder blade from my spine to my side. The best way I can describe it is it looked like camo but instead of green it was red and purple. Up close the blotches look like hundreds of little red and purple veins, almost like spider veins but not as condensed if that makes sense. When I press my fingers on it the skin turns white like its a bruise, but it does not hurt and in fact, some small areas of it are numb.

Tuesday most of the red was gone, the purple had started to get darker and it was slightly sore to the touch. I also started to have some soreness in my right side near my hip and the bottom two or three ribs.

Wednesday all the red was gone, the purple was very dark and almost black. The soreness in my side had also gotten worse.

Today (Thursday) the spot on my back just looks like a bunch of dark purple to black squiggly lines, there's some soreness around my right shoulder blade and my side is still somewhat sore.

During this there has been no injury to the area to explain the marks or the soreness. There are no bumps, sores, raised skin etc. I've not had a fever, no vomiting, etc. I have had some itchy skin on my right arm and scalp, but not sure if its associated with the back and side or even if the back and side are associated.

But I don't have health insurance and going to the doctor or ER is not really an option unless I just absolutely have to.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is this something I should be concerned about? I'm starting to get nervous but don't know if I should bury myself in medical bills over it or not :-S

Thanks in advance to those who reply!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi BB Girl and welcome to ehealth: Do you have a Red Cross or free clinic that you can call in your area...I'm guessing on this one as I have no medical training, but it sounds like a burst blood vessel...I don't know how serious that they are, but I recall my Mother had one many years ago...Possibly you made a wrong movement in your sleep or something of that order....I wish I could help you more on this, but I can't...Possibly a doctor on the site will pick this up and give you a better answer than I could....

I wish I could help more, but this is as good as I can do....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied October 28th, 2010
Thank you for your response Caroline!

That is what I thought at first until I started looking into broken blood vessels, which typically appear as a purplish welt and a blood spot. It's been quite a long time since I've had one, but I do remember that there is usually a burning sensation with them as well, which I've not experienced with whats on my back.

I've looked at numerous photos of broken blood vessels and it almost looks identical to whats on my back except broken blood vessels seem to be confined to a small area whereas the area on my back started off at about the size of a dinner plate and is now about the size of a grapefruit or slightly larger.

As far as free clinics or Red Cross goes, I don't know of any but I will certainly look into it. I just hope this isn't anything I should be really concerned about in the meantime.

Thanks again!
|

replied July 15th, 2012
Did you ever find out what this was? And did it get worse it did it heal? Was it ever treated? I have this too, my entire upper back and shoulders. I realize this post is almost two years old, but you're the only other person I've found so far that has what I have. My back is in excruciating pain and I'm also getting painful cramps and muscle spasms. My neck, shoulders, and upper back have the most pain. That is where I see these bursted blood vessel looking stuff under my skin. But the muscle spasms roll up and down my back from my neck to my tailbone.
|

replied August 17th, 2012
It sounds a bit like shingles to me. I realize this post is over a month old, but I hope you were able to get treatment. It usually runs a very specific path on the body/ The infection follows a nerve root from the spine, along a rib, & to the front of the chest. Shingles are extremely painful to some, others not so much. It's often seen in older patients but can be seen in anyone with a compromised immune system brought on by illness, meds, etc.
|

replied August 26th, 2013
Reptilian Abduction
To be quite frank ... what you both experience is an actual Reptilian Abduction -- and am not talking about ALIENS either. The abduction is on a multidimensional level that we call, "dramscape" that our consciousness can not perceive ... this is why 99% of people do not remember their dreams when sleep almost 11 hours a day that adds up to half our lives in sleep mode, not knowing what going on -- when we are ... dead ... FAST .... ASLEEP! This also happened to me twist " second time is NOW, as am writing this " but, the first time, I had no idea/no clue, what was happened to me ... it's LIKE ... all of a sudden ... I awoke ... and had a hurt BACK -- that I took for an injury that I sustain during weight lifting ( same thing also happened to Bruce LEE who really dead from an attack upon Pineal Gland that hold the soul of MEN ) It took me a week or so to get back into shape. But NOW this TIME -- I was BLESS to see the awful TRUTH -- within my DREAM ... I ... had a SNAKE wrapped around my waist, who was projecting thoughts within my consciousness ... that I love it ... and, it means me no harm, but when I tried to brake free ... it tighten up it's grip around the right side of waist. When I awoke that morning a hip injury; and within two days lead to my back -- but it was quite clear that it was from the snake I encountered within my dreams. I and many others have been sexually assaulted within the dreamscape.
|

replied August 27th, 2013
Delete my post PLEASE!
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.