Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Brocken Tib/Fib How long will limp last?

I am 14 years old. And in March,2011 i broke my Tib/Fib right above the ankle skiing. I had a external fixator put on till the middle of may,2011. I had the fixator removed and then had a regular cast till the start of July,2011. After that i had a walking boot till the end of July,2011. Now, the date being Augest 21,2011 i have everything removed and walk with a shoe. But a limp still remains. It doesent hurt to walk around. I get around with my freinds fine, and can ride a bike, ect. I am just wondering how long it will take for the limp to vanish. My freinds and family all notice the limp, and it is quite annoying.HOW LONG WILL THE LIMP LAST? Please respond.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2011
hi there, i want to ask something, hope you answer it.
im 20 years old, i broke my tib/fib last june 3 in playing basketball, 2011 and i have cast for 2 1/2 months now, but the callus is just starting to show. please help me, when can i walk again?
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Evan1234,

It depends upon the cause of the limp. The first step is to determine the cause.

But, do you have a leg length discrepancy (LLD), in other words is one leg shorter than the other? Do you have decreased range of motion of the ankle, knee, or other joint in the lower extremity? Are your muscles still smaller (atrophied) and weaker than the other side?

So, if your muscles are still weak, then as you build them up, your limp will get less and less. But, sometimes, that can take months, even a year or so, if you have had significant muscle wasting.

If your ankle doesn't move like it used to, that may be causing the limp. Here, you would have to work diligently on regaining the motion. Same with the knee.

If you have a LLD, you may need a shoe lift.

So, if the limp does not start to get better as you get stronger, then you will need to be evaluated by your surgeon, to try to figure out the reason for the limp.

Good luck. Keep working on the rehab.
|
Quick Reply