Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Bright red vaginal spotting

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
This morning I found very light spotting when I went to the toilet and was bright red in colour, yesterday I had some mild cramping, a couple of weeks before hand I had very sore breasts. I have very irregular periods since coming off Depo injection 2 years ago, before hand I was pretty much regular. I have had blood tests done to determaine lack of periods, they came back fine (hormones), also had an internal scan done, eveything was healthy and in order. So theres no reason after 2 years why i shouldnt be having regular periods. The last period i had was January this year which was a light one. I am currently sexually active, What could this be...

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2009
Sexual Health - Women Answer A6217

According to the data you provided, there is a possibility that even after two years the birth control depo injection you took might affect your menstrual cycle. This is even more probable when you have in mind that the female menstrual cycle might sometimes be irregular up to 17 years, which is actually when you stopped taking the depo injection. No data was given how long you took the depo injection.
You might want to visit your gynecologist and he might recommend taking some estrogen hormonal medications in order to try to restore a regular menstrual cycle.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.