Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

bright red blood and mucus in stool

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
Sorry if I go into too much detail explaining my symptoms, but its kinda hard not to with this issue. I'm a 22 year old female. There is a lot of bright red blood every single time I use the bathroom and its not a normal stool, it's kind of mucus looking and sorta looks like blood clots/chunks of blood. Sometimes I fart and its just straight blood. I go about 5 times a day and I have a lot of abdominal pain when I go. It also hurts real bad after I go, sometimes I have to lay down and curl up in a ball for at least 20 minutes after using the bathroom just to relieve the pain. Every time I eat I usually have to go within 30 minutes; it seems as if everything I eat is going straight through me. I've lost 10 pounds in the past 1 and a half to 2 months of having this issue, which is very unusual because I am not active and I eat a lot. I am also concerned that I could be anemic from losing this much blood because I am always tired, sometimes very dizzy when I stand up, and I bruise very easily.
I went to my family doctor about a month or so ago and she said it could be from constipation because I was taking a medicine to reduce the amount of acid in your stomach and a common side effect to it is constipation. I was put on that medication because I was having severe stomach pains and feeling nauseous every time I ate. They did an ultrasound to check my gallbladder but they said everything looked okay and determined I had excess stomach acid. The medicine helped, but then I started to have this problem shortly after.
My family doctor told me to take stool softeners (which didn't help) and come back in a few weeks for a follow up. I just moved to a different state though, so I was not able to make it to the follow up appointment and it has gotten worse since then.
About a year and a half ago I had a similar problem. There was blood in my stool, but it wasn't anything like this, it was still normal (other than the blood). I had a colonoscopy and they determined that there was just inflammation in my colon and gave me suppositories and that fixed the problem.
I know I should probably go to a doctor, but I'm scared that there is something seriously wrong. Should I go to a family doctor first or try to find a gastroenterologist in my area?
Please help, it keeps getting worse so I am freaking out!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 12th, 2013
Can anyone help me? Please!
|
Did you find this post helpful?