Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

bright lights in field of vision

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
I've had 2 or 3 episodes where I have rather intense, bright lights floating in my field of vision. It starts minimally and then gets to be rather severe, impacting my vision somewhat. Then they fade away.
I'm 53.

Feels like some kind of neurological problem, but I'm just guessing.

Anyone know what this might be?

Thanks.

Paul
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jhensonw
|

replied September 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
Hi Paul,

- Is it possible for you to describe these lights?
- Have you ever had a headache during or after an episode?
- Have you ever experienced severe headache's ?
|

replied September 23rd, 2008
bright lights floating in field of vision
The lights are white, curved strings of light. They float across my field of vision. They start very slow with just a hint of some light that I can't quite detect, and then get worse. The most recent episode (today) left me with a slight headache. As a general rule, I don't suffer from headaches, though.
|

replied August 14th, 2012
I have this and had it investigated several times, after seeing everyone from vision to heart, I found they are a
Transient ischemic attack. they became more frequent and longer in duration. I had a stent put in my descending aorta a year ago, since then I have only had a couple, very brief, it is caused by lack of oxygen. Now I am not saying that is what your problem is, but it is from a lack of oxygen somewhere in your body, continue to have check ups and push your Doctor on it, go to a heart Doctor and have a check up, never hurts to be safe.
|

replied September 25th, 2008
Experienced User
Hi Paul,

It is very possible that it is a migraine. Migraine's doesn't necissarily cause headaches. The lights that you see, is what is called a "Migraine Halo". I always only get the Halo's and never the headache's... (If you ask me, I would rather live with the pain than the visual disturbance Wink )

How often do you experience the ligts?

It's not known what causes Migraine's but factors such as eye-strain like for instance staring at a computer screen for an extended period of time, can trigger a Migraine. The best rule of thumb, for eye strain, is to break away from the screen from time to time and keeping the screen's refresh rate above 70mhz. Apparently, the "flickering" of the screen can set off Migraine's or sometimes even Epilepsy.
|

replied March 7th, 2009
White out in one eye and temporary blindness
I have been having the same experience as you describe, with temporary blindness for which can last as long as 1 minute. Then the sight slowly returns with dark like pixels and sight returns to normal within 5 minutes. Could these symptoms also be described as a Migraine halo.
John W
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Tiny bright lights, sensitivity to light (bright sky), migraines
I have experienced everything written by each of you, including temporary blindness while driving my car. Try SYBELLIUM or SIBELLUM, These are purple & red pills by prescription only. It's a muscle relaxant that restores normal bloodflow to your brain. Don't ask me how it works that's all I remember, it worked for me 9 years ago... hope it helps.
Although the headaches are GONE, I've had a recurrence of tiny bright lights, hundreads of them flying all over the place particularly when I look at the sky (computer screen, white background). I've gone back to Sibellium (spelling?) last week to see if it will clean this up. I'll keep you posted.
|

replied February 20th, 2010
white light
hey guys.. don't be consider that light something in the realm of disorder. look upon it instead as something normal occurring in your life. when you see it the next time stop what you're doing and just feel what you say is the accompanying headache. really feel it, let go into it.

you may have the surprise of discovering those moments as truly healing
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
white light
I've had this too and was told by an optician it was a type of miagraine. I find that if i have a large glass of water and a biscuit it goes away instantly, like low blood sugar. Worth giving that a try. Works for me Wink
|

replied July 2nd, 2014
im starting to have this also,, it tends to only happen on the days that I have more than one cup of coffee usually later in the evening... the bright wiggly blurriness often in the peripheral vision usually more to one eye than the other, feels like a sudden rush of blood or lack of something (oxygen) it usually goes away within 15 minutes but is accompanied with a slight headache. It used to happen in my left eye, but tonight it happened in my right eye and I am left with a slight headache on the left side of my head to the left temple.
|

replied October 18th, 2014
Large burst of brught light in eye
I have a burst of large bright light in eye and then it fades out only lasts a second but is has been about 2 or 3 times the last few days with no headaches
|
Quick Reply