Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Breathing difficulty i never had when i was smoking.

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
I smoked from my 13 to 23. On my 23rd birthday i decided to quit smoking. It seems that since that day i started having breathing difficulties. I wake up sometimes during the night because i am wheezing and can't breathe, wake up in the morning every day wheezing, get out of breath really easily... I used to go jogging and i could jog for 30min before having to stop but now, after 3 months of quitting smoking, i can't jog for more than 5min! I just can't breath at all. The air goes out easily but when i try to get air in i just can't. It feels like i have something inside blocking the air and i start wheezing. What can be the cause of it?
Oh and even though I've stopped smoking my boyfriend hasn't and so he smokes a lot inside the house with the windows closed...
Can it be asthma? I know i have sinusitis but i never had this kind of problems before when i was smoking.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 29th, 2012
Smoking is one of the leading causes of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). It can cause mucus buildup and asthma like symptoms. I would get with your doctor before you have a bad "attack" and talk with him about this. Its not somethng to play with. Theres a really simple test they can do called a spirometry where you just breathe into a mouthpiece and the computer collects data. This can determine and rule out asthma and COPD. Hope you get it figured out!
|

replied May 12th, 2012
I have had asthma since i was a baby and practically grew up in the hospital because of it. I started smoking when I was 17 and now at 33 quit about 4 months ago. Since I quit I've noticed my breathing has become worse. I'm curious if i would be better off just to start back? I take my rescue inhaler much more than I used to and it scares me to think I was too late. Is therre any relief to expect in the future?
|