Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Breathing difficulty and abdomen bloating (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Hi,
I have posted before, But, anyone here have the same.
Constant need to take a deep breath, and the feeling that your lungs didn't get enough air?I do it all day.
I also but the end of the day have upper abdomen bloating and pain.

What's is this? I have tried asthma prevents, nothing helped, Diazapn helped by putting me to sleep. Now I take busiprone as doc thinks its anxiety.I have the pills 2 months and no change. I get it from the time I wake to the time I sleep.
Its so bad no Its driving me insane, I don't want to go out, or do anything.

Its been going on a year now, Doc now wants me to have an endoscopy? I have had blood tests nothing wrong there?
Doc just says Jen, its anxiety.... I need help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sam_dotcom
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2008
Supporter
I'd suggest that you learn deep breathing practices. The symptoms you're describing occur when we take shallow, short breaths. Panic and anxiety are increased when we do not breathe correctly. You need to be able to expand your diaphragm and exhale completely.

Here are some tips for reducing stress which might help:
Below are some tips that children can follow themselves to help reduce stress:

* Talk about your problems with someone that you can trust.
* Try to relax. Listen to calm music. Take a warm bath. Close your eyes and take slow deep breaths. Take some time for yourself. If you have a hobby or favorite activity, give yourself time to enjoy it.
* Exercise. Physical activity reduces stress.
* Set realistic expectations. Do your best, and remember that nobody is perfect.
* Learn to love yourself and respect yourself. Respect others. Be with people who accept and respect you.
* Remember that drugs and alcohol never solve problems.
* Ask for help if you are having problems managing your stress.
|
Users who thank rooted for this post: peppermintpattygirl 

replied February 15th, 2009
did you find an answer?
Jen,

I am having scary, similar symptoms. Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Mine has been going on for a month now.
It feels strained a little when I breathe, but mostly when I breathe out. My upper abdomen is bloated. My whole chest feels kind of tight.
Please respond if you found an answer.
|

replied February 16th, 2009
anxiety
Hi Jen I was the same and had the same symptoms as you..I was told it was anxiety, and so for almost two months I have been taking medication, although I didnt really want to at thebeginning, but it certainly has helped, and I also see a psychologist to leran relaxation techniques, and to talk through my anxiety issues.
I have also found Yoga has helped, as it teaches you, amongst other things, to breathe properly, and it really has made all the difference.

I know how scary it can be, but positive thinking can help also, although I know its hard when all you want to do sometimes is hide under the sheets in your bed and not go out.. Best of luck to you Smile
|

replied March 21st, 2012
I have been having these symptoms for over a year. The upper bloat starts right before I eat supper and stays all evening. It is torture to make myself eat. I have to lay on my back or hang off the side of my bed. I know it is anxiety but do not know why. Now it is at almost every meal. Next month I am having a colonoscopy and ECG. I am so miserable and cant even go on a date. I eat as slow as I can and take deep breaths but nothing helps.

Hazel
|

Joeyjojo,

Your words are comforting, but was your breathing all day long? Like, not just in anxious moments, but from the time you woke up in the morning to when you went to sleep? Mine is constant, all day long. It gets worse after large meals or exertion.

Doctors have ruled out heart problems, and the pulminologist ruled out anything serious...just said my breathing function test showed I was exhaling all the wayt out (like I didn't know that)
So, now all I have left to do is have an endoscopy.

It's terrifying. Even when I'm calm and relaxed I can't breathe well. During theraputic massage, acupuncture, everything...this breathing thing will not go away, and pain meds/anti-inflammatories/asthma inhalers don't help.

I'm kind of at my wits end Sad
|

replied October 4th, 2011
Same problems
I have the same problems and don't know why either I am positive it is not anxiety. It gets worse after eating, not matter what I eat!!
I quit smoking 9 months ago & thats when it started but the Doctors can not find anything wrong.
I too am at my wits end and tired of looking like I am 9 months pregnant!!!!!
|

replied November 15th, 2011
Swollen stomach & feeling of suffocating
I have the exact same thing going on. As soon as I eat the bloating starts, the I realize I can't breathe. It's like I've been punched in the stomach and a hand is closing around my throat to suffocate me. Of course one panics when you aren't sure you can get your next breath! The thing is the panic follows shortly after the "suffocation" begins.

Could this be due to a hernia?
|

replied March 11th, 2012
I have this too, and a lot of gas. It seems when I am able to pass the gas my symptoms dissipate and the swelling goes down. What is this???? I have been experiencing this gradually for a few years, and only recently it has gotten quite debilitating and worrisome. Trying to figure out what the heck is going on.
|

replied January 4th, 2013
Did you find any answers....sounds just like me..had tons of tests done...all fine...I find anxiety pill and hot water seems to get gas up...but WHAT IS CAUSING IT..ugh
|

replied September 9th, 2012
have you been tested for food allergies ? when i eat bread it sets of the symptoms you describe .chocking feeling and bloating. hope this helps ?
|

replied February 22nd, 2012
Hi Jen
I went through the exact same thing and am still going through it. When I first started having panic attacks it did last all day everyday until my doctors prescribed me ativan. It took me months before I was able to leave home. Everytime I got in a vehichle Id have an attack. And public places, forget it. It will subside eventually. You need to take baby steps and go for short walks and be around loved ones. I hope this post helps you.
|

replied June 20th, 2012
upper abdomen bloating abd breathing difficulty
I have had the exact same feelings for mon
ths now and seems to be worse by the end of the day or after I eat my upper abdomen lloks like I'm totally pregnant if I lay on my stomache its very uncompfortable I take preventative asthma meds as well as anxiety meds but still am very uncomfortable and full all the time someone suggested it could be celiac disease and or lactose intolerance hmmm
|

thapsychlone

No, mine were never like that..I really feel for you, it must be awful to live like that...

Have you sought a second or even third opinion? Or are you going ahead with the endoscopy?

I dont know your beliefs or anything, but have you ever heard of Reiki healing?
Massage done by a Reiki healer, with energies passed from the healer to you, in particular the areas that need the energy..or to unblock energy blockages and things. its a wonderful thing..
|

replied February 17th, 2009
bloating
usually after i eat my abdomen feels bloated, and i cant really breath. but yeah i know how you feel it really is hard...Sad
|

replied February 26th, 2009
Busiprone Side Effects
Has anyone had any bad side effects while taking this medication for anxiety? I feel like I'm the only person that gets nausea and dizzy from it? I just started taking it 2 wks ago and everyone even the pharmacist says it doesn't cause these in most people. I feel like I must be very strange and feel guilty complaining. I have a doctor appt tomorrow to find out why I have these complaints. Did you find if you did have the side effects that they don't last too long.
|

replied February 15th, 2012
Reply to Buspirone question
I take Buspirone, Cymbalta, Lorazepam, and Adderall (and have taken most off and on for 8 years now. I have OCD, GAD (Anxiety), and Adult ADHD. Trust me, it is NOT weird to have dizziness and nausea from Buspirone.

I'm used to taking everything under the sun (see above Benzos, tranquilizers, anti-depressants, and amphetamines) and you'd be amazed at what they can cause (especially at first).

I'm surprised your Buspirone bottle doesn't have a sticker that says "may cause dizziness" because mine always have (ie: dizziness is very common). Nausea is also common if you're taking them without food. If you search the net a bit, you'll find that Buspirone is considered a rather caustic medicine for the GI tract (not as Caustic as some Antibiotics, but still cause stomach disturbances in some people).

I take the Buspirone and Adderall (very tough on the body) as early as 4:30am when I get up for work, but I never take them without having a little oatmeal and hot tea or at least some granola or something that settles and coats the stomach a bit.

I didn't have stomach probs from the Buspirone when I first started taking it, but I did have a weird kind of dizziness that would come and go. After a couple of months it went away and I've never had it since.

I'd say that you should continue taking it for at least 1-2 months before deciding and definitely make sure you have something (non-acidic) in your stomach like a banana or even a few crackers. It will probably subside out of nowhere.

I don't know why the pharmacist is saying it's unusual, it's right on the indications/usage/info sheet that comes with the script.
|

replied February 28th, 2009
thapsychlone
Hi Thapsychlone - I know what you are talking about as I have been experiencing that since last 15 years and I am 30 now...I just can't breathe and have painful bloating throughout the day....All because of depression, anxiety and stress......I breathe normally when I am asleep or happy about something or eating good food or when I am busy with something I like...Poor breath is only one side effect of my problem but there are many others - constipation, poor posture, poor abdominal/diaphragmtic muscles, poor immunity, poor concentration, etc ...I have tried everything and have been to different kind of doctors but still I am in terrible pain..now I can't breathe well due to anxiety/stress as well as poor posture which is an effect of the former....am stuck in a vicious cycle....Although I have improved by positive thinking, exercise, yoga, reading etc...but we can't do that more than 2 hours a day...we need to go to office and give time to family as well..... I keep on searching internet to find if somebody had a similar problem.......still fighting...
|

replied February 28th, 2009
private message?
Maximus123,

I'd like to send a private message to you. How can I do that?
|

replied March 24th, 2009
Breathing difficulty, bloating, constipation, back pain.
Hello Jen,

I have had this same issue for about a week now..although I have had this issue prior about a few years back, but slowly it went away and the doctors could not find anything wrong with x-rays of my lungs or chest. They referred me to having "acute self-induced asthma" Recently, I've been feeling shortness of breath, like I have to yawn in order to get a full breath. My back and chest both hurt, my chest probably from strain of breathing. I have been constipated for about 4-5 days now, where I took ex-lax thinking it may relieve the issue. I also feel constantly bloated, whether I eat or not. All day, every day for as long as this breathing has been an issue. I'm not sure what is going on here, but it seems to me that the doctors you all have been to don't really know at all what causes this or how to treat it. I have yet to go to the doctor, since my insurance does not kick in until April 14th, but I'm freaking out. I don't know what it is, nor how to treat it. I've tried gas-x incase that was the issue. I've tried omeprazol for GERD. I'm not sure where to start? Does anyone have any idea? I'm running out of choices and getting really nervous that it could be something very serious.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
anxiety
i am having same problem for over 8 months some time some symptom sometimes other but the only alternative is to forget it . better said than done but i'm trying. whenever we think of and concentrate on some part or area the discomfort in that area increases heart, lungs back, breathing throat etc.. bcoz we are causing the pain by thinking. positive thinking will help and forgetting is the only alternative.
|

replied March 29th, 2009
Breathing Difficulty
I know exactly what you're going through. I have the same thing. I found this site because it's worse this morning and I'm considering going back to the Urgent Care.

I have had a CT scan of my lungs, an EKG, tried anti-inflammatories, an asthma inhaler.. nothing seems to relieve it.
I do notice it's worse when I think a lot about it so I too wonder if it's just anxiety, which I do have trouble with.
it's awful, debilitating and very scary. I know exactly what you're going through.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
look within for cure
This is more of a psyhologically induced physical problem. The basic solution is not outside but inside. try and analyse why and how did it occured try to look into past to search the origin. Then youll find the cure.
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
Hi Jen, I was wondering if you found a cure yet, i have had the your same symtoms for the last week, I have been in and out of the ER and frankly i am very scared. Breathing is difficult during the whole day. I cannot funtion like this!
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Same symptoms recently: difficulty breathing all day long, shortness of breath, yawning constantly, and bloated stomach... I had similar symptoms over a year ago and it turned out to be a side effect of Lexapro (an SSRI for depression). I immediately stopped taking the medication and the symptoms went away within a week (after getting worse initially from withdrawal). I have since been taking Zoloft and have had no problem with it until last week - again, same symptoms as before. I googled the side effects of Zoloft and they are the same for pretty much all SSRIs. Just a thought.
|

replied June 18th, 2009
Breathing problems, bloating associated pain
Same problem for 5 years!! Bothersome every day some better than others. Originally told it was stres related but did not believe it. Have had a GI scope several times no problems. Doctors now believe it may be gastroparesis. This is where your gut and intestines are not moving adequatley and you get gas trapping in your gut and intestine. Possibly related to IBS. I have tried Buscopan, Domperidone and Modulon. The buscopan and Modiulon definitely help some, but it still requires concerted relaxation at times to stop the pattern. Big problem is the gut problems refer the pain out to surrounding muscles causing even more pain in the back, shoulders and abdomen. Rhythmic breathing helps when it gets real tight. Something to discuss with your doctor. This problem is more common than is realized, at least from my research.

Remember not all docs graduated at the top of their class and they are just human.
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
Not sure if this will help or if it will even apply to any of your situations. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 15 months ago. Now, if I happen to accidentally ingest Gluten, about an hour later I am bloated, and can't seem to get a good, deep breath of air, which seems to lead to excess yawning. The gluten causes an autoimmune response which causing swelling in the gut. When this happens I am moody, constipated, bloated, tired etc…..There just doesn't seem to be enough room left inside of me for air. Gross feeling!!
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
I should also add that Celiac Disease has MANY more symptoms than the ones I listed. And not everyone with the disease has the same ones. I just pointed out the ones that pertain to this forum regarding bloating, shortness of breath and yawning. Hope this helps.
|

replied June 30th, 2009
I have the same problem many of you are going thru, 10yrs ago that lasted a few months. Again about 5 yrs. ago that lasted a couple of months. Anxiety for me seems to come and go over the past years. I turned to alcohol, which made me relaxed, helped and thats the magic word, relax. I was in and out of the doctors.Zoloft, Paxil, I tried them all, and helped a bit but I wanted something drugfree. I found the answer that may help some of you, because it helped out the first time I had my anxiety problems. When it came back the 2nd time yrs after, I use the same technique that I learned, again it solved my anxiety problems. My problem was I worry to much, I overanalyzed things in my head, and I always think of something negative, just very negative. All this became a bad habbit that my mind was doing this things without me realizing what I'm doing. It's like I was hitting my head with a baseball bat. I had to stop it. One way of stopping was deep breathing in and out for about 5 mins. It worked because my mind stopped thinking about the bad things instead, I was thinking about the breathing technic. Another way was during an episode of a panic attack, I would pinch the muscle between my index finger and thumb but not too hard to leave finger nail marks. Again by doing so, I was interuppting my mind. So the lesson here is to turn negative thoughts into positve thoughts. Stay away from thoughts that will make you sad. It's not that easy to break bad habbits but you can work on it. One day without anxiety will give you a big relief and will let you have your daily activities. I hope this will help. Your donations will be greatly appreciated, just kidding, cheers, Sam
|