Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

breasts leaking milk? not pregnant

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
hello, i am just wanting to see what could cause your breasts to leak milk. i had my tubes tied almost five years ago so i am pretty sure i am not pregnant(i have my period and i have taken several tests) i dont understand why this is happening. please if you know what causes this please let me know. thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2011
The female breast responds to hormonal stimulation by becoming engorged, and secreting either a clear or milky discharge, at certain times during a woman's menstrual period. Less commonly, breast tumors (or even much less commonly, rare brain tumors) can sometimes cause a milky discharge from the breasts, as well.

New breast discharges should always be evaluated to ensure that there are no serious health problems associated with this very common symptom.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.