Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Brain wave spikes during eeg

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
User Profile
my eeg came back abnormal. my other doc says i have vertigo the nero doc said it looks to be seizures. When i was doing the hyperventilation part of the eeg that when my brain wave spiked but while i was doing it i got really dizzy and i grabed the tableis there any way at all the spikes could br from me moving or my vertigo? and not be seizures?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2010
Epilepsy Answer A11625
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the abnormal EEG tracing and the confusion between the diagnosis of seizures and vertigo.
From your description it appears that there was a lot of movement during EEG recording which can make the reading of EEG tracing difficult and interfere with the correct interpretation. The presence of morphologically similar EEG discharges in other portions of the tracing but unassociated with obvious motor activity will establish that they represent a genuine cortical discharge rather than an artifact generated by sudden movement.You can also coNsider a repeat EEG.
A small number of people have EEG tests that show unusual results, even though they never have seizures and they don’t have epilepsy. This could be caused by other medical conditions such as encephalitis (swelling of the brain) or vertigo (dizziness). Some people inherit unusual brainwave patterns from their parents. Therefore, an EEG that shows unusual brainwave patterns doesn’t necessarily mean that you have epilepsy.
The definitive diagnosis can be made by your neurologist after thorough workup and clinical co-relation as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.