Medical Questions > Cancer > Brain Cancer Forum

brain tumor pressing on the optic nerve

Must Read
Brain basics here - what is a tumor and how do doctors understand brain cancer? ...
What puts you at risk of developing brain cancer? Review the most common risk factors for brain cancer so that you can be informed....
Brain cancer symptoms are wide ranging and various. Look out for these common symptoms of brain cancer and learn when you should seek medical help....
User Profile
my son has a brain tumor pressing on the optic nerve, he is seeing white spots with blurred vision he has been declared functionaly blind, he is scheduled for radiation, after radition will the white spots go away, and what do you recomend proton therapy or regular radition

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2011
Brain Cancer Answer A18588
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you. Proton therapy is a type of particle therapy which uses a beam of protons to irradiate diseased tissue.

The chief advantage of proton therapy is the ability to more precisely localize the radiation dosage when compared with other types of external beam radiotherapy.

It is not yet known whether proton therapy yields better clinical outcomes than other types of radiation therapy for people with many common cancers.

Hence, it is difficult to comment regarding the better option. However, the incidence of side effects are less with the proton pump therapy.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.