Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Brain injury and tiredness ?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
8 years ago I was in a car accident, and suffered a closed head injury. I was in a coma for a while and was sent to a brain injury rehabilitation center when I woke up. I have no recollection of the first hospital I was in and only remember bits and pieces of the second one. I dont know if my brain inury has anything to do with the fact that I am tired all the time. I get enough sleep, I think. I continue to have memory problems which I guess I will have forever, but there are still parts and events from my past that I have no clue of. I am not sure what to expect anymore, because for a while it seemed like I was doing better, but then all of a sudden I am tired all the time again. I hope someone can help me.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper stayhome_mommy
|

replied March 20th, 2009
Hi there, the tiredness or fatigue is quite common after brain injury. I learned a lot after my injury after joining an online support group because there were none to attend that were close to me. I am still finding chunks of long term memory that are lost to me. I suffer mainly from the short term memory loss that is so frustrating. You probably have good days and bad days with the fatigue. Visual or auditory overload will wear you out. Stress is terrible for causing fatigue. Once you suffer a brain injury that affects you daily, there will always be some deficit you will have to deal with. Check into some online support groups and tbi.org. Hope this gives you some ideas!
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2009
Experienced User
My brother had a severe close TBI in March of 2008. He was in a cma for a month and in the hospital for 2 in total. He is basicly back to normal other than some balance issues and lots of memory issues. But being tired is a huge hurdle for him. He can only work 4 hours a day because of his extreme fatuige.
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2009
I was in an ATV accident last August (last year) AND Am very tired most of the time when I am awake.....I was in a coma for 2 months and in a rest and rehab home for about 8 months. I did not get to feeling tired all the time until approximately 6 months into my rest and rehab and it still persists. I guess the brain has to work harder than before...so we are affected by it. Anyway I need to get some kind of medication to give me some energy soon....because it can be quite overwhelming occurring on a regular everyday basis....(you all should know what I mean....) Does anyone know what is available? Please let me know via email.... And god bless all of you.....Each of us has a Story which can help each of us in some way......I also have memory short and long-term problems (losses) which I have to accept....I used to be a musician and could sing pretty good....Well, I still sing but sound more like a crow now than a Bluejay!!!!ha-ha!!!We can all back one-another up because we are all in the same situation. I must remind myself that there is always someone who listens to my words.....God. i WILL PRAY FOR ALL OF US TONIGHT! bless all of you!
|

replied September 26th, 2009
Hello, I had an auto accident 8 years ago that left me with a brain injury. I had my seatbelt on and didn't hit my head. I was stopped at a light and rear ended by an SUV going 45 mph. It sent flying into the vehicle in front of me and then back into the SUV. I was left with something similiar to "Shaken Baby Syndrome". After about two years of doctors and tests my Neurologist diagnosed me with a frontal lobe injury. One of my big problems is chronic fatigue. My life is no longer the same. Finally when I didn't have the energy to take a shower and go out the doctor prescribed a drug called "Provigil". It is ususally used to help people with Narcolepsy stay awake or to help people who do shift work. It has truly turned my life around in the fatigue department. I haven't had any side effects or problems and it really gives me about 75% of the energy I had before my accident. I hope this helps someone as it did me.
Sincerely,
Sheri
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2009
thank you sheri9963 for the info about provigil. My neurologist prescribed me a newer drug called Nuvigil and I tried it today and man, I had great energy for a change! Anyway, Bless you for your great help with this! Take care! Phil.....write me if you'd ever like to talk.....god bless......thanks again! Phil
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2009
And thanks for this great site!!! When someone has Knowledge they are out of the Fog!!!!!Thanks Guys!Phil
|

replied November 7th, 2009
Hello, I wanted to see if the Nuvigil is still working well for you. I talked to my neurologist about it and she's looking into it. I wanted to be sure it is still working for you. I hope you're doing great! I know how hard it is.

God Bless,
Sheri
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2009
Sorry so late on response - system was down for a long time! In response to your question: The Nuvigil still keeps me awake - but I still have problems with feeling tired, very spaced out- a drunk feeling. I did some research and found the medical problem known as Giddiness. I must admit that when I was acknowledging my symtoms I was looking at the most obvious - Being Tired all the time. The spacy feeling and tiredness I get still exist when I take Nuvigil. But my brain issues are unique to my own damage - you might give nuvigil a try - but many people have found Provigil to work great for them. My spaced-out, lightheaded and tired feeling occur gradually after waking and rising from bed in morning.....But the Provigil does give me more alertness and energy than I used to have.....I'm gonna keep looking for something - along with medical medication to get better! Anyway - good luck with your rehabilitation.
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
Provigil and Closed Head Injury
My life changed in 1994 with a closed head injury from an accident. I was unable to work for many years and had a total of 6 TIA's that caused weakness on my right side and affected my eyesight. The biggest hurdle was being tired , light-headed, and not being able to unscramble my brain for what used to be simple tasks or decisions. I had an extensive test done in 2007 to decipher the area that was damaged. The doctor gave me a sample of Provigil and suddenly I was almost my old self again! I could function like a normal person. I started taking it daily, and 6 months later, I was well enough to hold a full-time job. The work is very technical. Some days are better than others, but I have very few problems now related to my injury. I recently lost my health insurance and have tried just taking Provigil every other day to make it last. But the damage is still there and my head goes back to being scrambled quickly without it. I am very surprised Provigil has not been approved for brain injury. When I had insurance, they only approved it for adult ADHD, which is somewhat like the symptoms I was left with. I am grateful for a drug that gave me my life back, but the price is so high without the help of insurance that it is unrealistic.
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
Possible cheaper medication for head injury.
I'm sorry about you losing your health insurance. Give the company that makes Privigil a call and see if they can help you by reducing the cost. Some companies will do this. Also, check Nuvigil. It's the same medication and I think it's cheaper. Best of luck!

Sheri
|

replied September 11th, 2011
Provigil and Head Injuries
I had a car/bike accident in 1980. I suffered from day-time drowsiness and also insomnia for years. I just couldn't get my sleep cycles right.

In 2003 my psychiatrist prescribed Provigil. It changed my life. Since I was able to stay awake during the day, I was tired at night.

It doesn't stimulate the central nervous system like speed or caffeine. It works on the sleep center of the brain.

I now have a psychologist who specializes in brain trauma. He told me provigil is one of the best drugs for people with head injuries because daytime sleepiness is so common.

I hope this helps people understand it alittle better.
|

replied June 12th, 2013
I suffer from my tbi accident.
short term memory is gone but my long term memory is recalling a lot from past even as a child.I have been on Nuvigil 250mg it worked at first but i am 1 1/2 from my accident and the last 2 months things have been worse then they were right after the accident? Does anyone take a higher does than 250mg? I go to bed around 11pm and sometime don't wake up until 3 o4p the next. I have no energy the just increasd my prozac from 60 to80mg to see if it helps. The shaking is horrible, all the sudden my taste and desire to eat is slowly going away? I am scared I am going to fall into a coma state.. feedback appreciated. Thanks
|

replied June 27th, 2013
Experienced User
(home wound care)I wanted to see if the Nuvigil is still working well for you. I talked to my neurologist about it and she's looking into it. I wanted to be sure it is still working for you. I hope you're doing great! I know how hard it is.
|

replied June 27th, 2013
Is nuvigial or provigal better for bti patients?
Hello,
I am glad I found this site, as I am finding now that I am not alone with having a horrible accident 1 1/2 years ago. I had cacussion, 3 brain bleeds and a contusion on the brain and blood was just pooling on the top of my brain. After the accident went to ER, which I don't recall much of it and they put me in ICU for 5 days as the neronsurgens watch my brain everyday via cat scan and finally on the 4th day in ICU my brain started to absord the blood back in, therefore no surgery was required, Thank God. The doctors did tell me with the falling down all 14 basement stairs and with the damage it did to my brain, they said I must have a great guardian angel, because they said most people don't survive from my type of fall and BTI damages. When I was released from ICU and got home as I don't recall much of it, I just wanted to sleep and my body would sleep until 4p or 5p the next afternoon, and I was going to bed around 10p at nite.
I was already on Nuvigal 250mg for my sleep disorder and they said they could not increase the dose as I was at the max. Then after 6 mths went by, my sleeping all day starting to slow down, so I took physical therapy as I lost my strength and was very dizzy alot with migraines. The pt helped me regain my strength and my balance was getting better. Then I went into eye therapy as my vision was messed up and that help somewhat. Then another 6 mths go by, and all the sudden the sleepiness came back but was even worse and I was on Prozac 60mg which they increased to 80mg and in a month it helped alot, but I have to get up around 6am and take my daily meds which include Prozac 80mg, Nuvigil 250mg, Adderral 60mg. I have found since I take early am then my body is awaken by 9 or 10a and the meds are getting in. I still suffer from severe migranes, short term memory loss, bad shakiness that won't go away, looks like it my short term memory is permanent although my long term memory is the best its ever been??? Is Provigil better than Nugvial? for BTI????? Thank God for this site. Take Care
|