Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Brachial Plexius Injuries and Nerve Damage

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I have nerve damage in my neck, lower back, and left leg.... and I have a Brachial Plexius injury. My teacher wants to do a report on all of this.. but I'm not sure where to even start... May I ask for possibly a little assitance in the matter? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
keilee216,

What type of information do you need?

General anatomy and physiology of the peripheral nerves
Pathophysiology of nerves: neuropraxia, axonotmesis, neurotmesis
Anatomical pathology of the spinal and peripheral nerves
Symptoms of radiculpathy, myelopathy, peripheral nerve injury
Treatment of peripheral nerve disorders

Again, what is it that you are looking for?

Be happy to help, but will also need a little guidance on your part. What level are you writing for (high school, college, graduate school, etc)?

What level you are writing for will determine how much depth you will need to go into.

You may want to start off with the gross anatomy of the peripheral nervous system. Include illustrations of the spine/nerve roots and the brachial/lumbar plexus. You could also include some of the microscopic anatomy of a peripheral nerve (body, dendrites, axons, synapses).

You could go into the physiology of the peripheral nerve. This can be very intricate, but depending upon the level, you can discuss how nerve impluses travel down a nerve and how the impluses are transmitted from one nerve to the next, through the synapse.

You can discuss the pathophysiology of nerve damage. Describe the difference between neuropraxia, axonotmesis, and neurotmesis.

What are the differences between a radiculopathy, myelopathy, and peripheral nerve injury?

Clinical aspects of nerve injury can be described. How can you tell what part of the brachial plexus has been injured by how the patient presents in terms of symptoms? What type of symptoms will the patient have when a lumbar nerve root is compressed?

You could discuss the treatment options for the different nerve injuries, and the prognosis for nerve recovery.

So, again, depending upon the level at which this is aimed, there are a lot of things that you could write about.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.