Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

BP readings on electronic monitors

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
Have been in a situation where my BP is measured as a requirement. At one time I took medication, but after stopping drinking and loosing weight, my BP measured normal consistently with the "regular" manual measurement for may years. I am 53 years old. Now, in a situation where BP is, as a rule, measured electronically, it always registers high, even very high. Much higher than it can possibly be. They then measure it manually and it's normal. But others in the group are normal with the electronic monitor, though there are always several examples of high BP in the group of even youngsters when using the electronic version. Also, this can't be operator error in the case where it's measured manually. The technician has varied when this discrepancy has occurred, so I feel, most likely,they're reading correctly. They tell me this is not unusual with the electronic monitors which is why they go ahead and test again manually if showing high electronically. However, it seems to work for most.
Searching the web, I see little information on the inconsistency of readings by electronic monitors. Do you have any input on this? Hope this makes sense! This is of concern to me and should be to others as I've read where the mercury dependent equipment is going away. How can one be assured one is getting a correct reading in the case of an office that does not have both types of measurement equipment? Seems like a possible additional boon to the drug companies!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
BP monitors with mercury give the most correct values for blood pressure.
The digital monitor has accuracy that is easily changed by body movements or an irregular heart rate.
It is very important to be using a correct size of cuff.
|

replied January 12th, 2009
thanks
That makes sense which is why I guess they don't hesitate to eventually take manually. Plus, at the time, I'm nervous about a high reading so my heart rate could affect, I guess. With concerns about mercury, etc. I'm just worried about anyone who may insist on reading strictly with electronic device in which case it could, for me, be an inaccurate reading leading to false diagnosis. Thinking back, I don't see that, in comparison to others who tested normal electronically, that the cuff size would have anything to do with it. I'll ask next time I'm in. We'll see. Thanks for your input.
|