Here are a few facts regarding Hepatitis B transmission and the risk factors associated with Hepatitis B infection.
Hepatitis B infection can be spread through having contact with the blood, semen, vaginal fluids, and âother body fluids of someone who already has a hepatitis B infection.â
INFECTION CAN BE SPREAD THROUGH :
1. Blood transfusions (not common in the United States)â
2. Direct contact with blood in health care settings
3. Sexual contact with an infected person
4. Tattoo or acupuncture with unclean needles or instruments
5. Shared needles during drug use
6. Shared personal items (such as toothbrushes, razors, and nail clippers) with an infected person
7. The hepatitis B virus can be passed to an infant during childbirth if the mother is infected.â
Risk factors for hepatitis B infection include:â
1. Being born, or having parents who were born in regions with high infection rates (including Asia, Africa, âand the Caribbean)â
2. Being infected with HIV
3. Being on hemodialysis
4. Having multiple sex partners
5. Men having sex with men.
Unless your boyfriend had exposure via the above means, and had the above risk factors, it is unlikely that he might be infected too.
In case of doubt, he can get tested for hepatitis B serology testing, which can clear all your doubts.
thanks a lot sir.it was a great help..my boyfriend didnot have exposure by the adove mentioned ways..his mother aquaried that disease in her late 40s and also had severe jaundice so she died..thanks again.
"Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals.
For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our
medical experts page.
You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.
The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician.
Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.