Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Bowel movements near period

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hello,

Over the past 2 years I have developed unpredictable bowel movements around my period. I know the hormones can affect the bowels but I just wondered if anyone experiences the same.

It is usually after eating I can suddenly have a big growel in my stomach and then I have to rush to the toilet, I wouldn't say it is diarrhoea it's just very loose windy stools which I can't hold, and can smell really bad, it's like my bowels are just emptying themselves. Even though it may happen once a mth it's starting to cause me anxiety as I am worried that I may get caught out when out and about.

Is there anything I can take around my period which may stop this from happening so I don't have to worry about it?

Many thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum.

From the history provided it seems that your symptoms could be due to indigestion or hormone related decreased bowel motility which might be the cause of your bloating. Symptomatic treatment and a few measures will be helpful to relieve your symptoms.

Borborygmus also known as stomach growling, is the rumbling sound produced by the movement of gas in the stomach and intestines. This is a normal part of digestion. It originates in the stomach or upper part of the small intestine as muscles contract to move food and digestive juices down the gastrointestinal tract.

Stomach or intestinal gas is a byproduct generated during the process of digestion. It is generally expelled from the body, either through the mouth (called belching or burping) or through the rectum (flatulence or flatus). The flatus if smells bad, is due to fermentation process of the colon contents, which generates sulphur gases, which produces that foul odor.

The best way to prevent this condition is via dietary and lifestyle changes.

1. Eat slowly by chewing the foods properly. This reduces the amount of air ingested while eating & also facilitates carbohydrate digestion.

2. Pay attention to the kind of food you have been eating lately. This would help identify specific foods that cause bad stomach gas and then cut down its consumption.

3. In addition to the above methods, Activated charcoal, probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements can be used for intestinal or stomach gas relief. Activated charcoal tablets have the best effect in relieving your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.