Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

bowel movements are still loose

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
User Profile
My appendix burst in April of 2009; a few days after I had surgery to remove the burst appendix and the related infections. 30cm of my small intestine and a small part of my colon had to be removed. It\'s been almost a year and a half since then and I\'m still experiencing problems. My bowel movements are still loose (and sometimes acidic if I\'ve had anything with caffeine); I\'ve been taking protein shakes which actually help substantially, but if I stop for more than a couple days they go back to being loose again. I also get a pain in my upper stomach if I run for more than a couple miles, and I feel like I\'m going to puke. Last but not least, my ability to drink alcohol is all but gone; I can\'t take more than a few shots or beers without getting that pain in my upper stomach again and puking. Is something else wrong with me? Is it just a slow healing process, or will I always be like this?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2010
Appendix and Appendicitis Answer A17304
Hi,

Welcome to the forum and I am glad to help you out. In view of the symptoms of chronic diarrhea and the history of recent surgery, there's a possibility that you're suffering from blind loop syndrome. Blind loop syndrome occurs when part of the small intestine is bypassed and cut off from the normal flow of food and digestive juices.

The bypassed portion of intestine, known as a blind loop, leads to a series of problems. Food can't pass through the loop, and digestive fluids stagnate. As a result, food ferments, encouraging bacterial growth and interfering with absorption of essential nutrients. Antibiotics, vitamin B12 supplements and lactose free diet are the key to treat this ailment. Please consult a gastroenterologist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.