Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vegetarian Diet Forum

bowel movement changes

First off, just to make things clear, I am not a vegetarian, I just eat a lot more fruits and vegetables than I do meats. I really started focusing more on eating plants and drinking more water a few months ago when I started running again. Everything has been going fine for the most part; my only problem has been with the gas, which can be noxious, and with my fecal matter. Before, when I was eating more meats and french fries and that kind of thing, my fecal matter was pretty solid and exited without much trouble. But now it is more like having diarrhea all of the time. The frequency has not increased or anything like that, it just comes out differently than it used to. Oh, and before I changed the way I eat, and live for that matter, they were at least a foot long and would come about once a day. But now they (bowel movements) only occur about every two days and don't seem to be quite as big. I know that this was kind of gross, but its something that I have been watching for quite a while now and it has had me a little worried. So, thanks in advance to anyone willing to share their thoughts with me!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Beline
|

replied May 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I am a nurse and have had more conversations with patients about bowel movements than I care to think about! Smile It does not bother me in the least so I will try to answer this for you. Your dietary change is responsible for the change in the pattern and consistency of your bowel movement. As long as there is some solid matter and not all liquid coming out with a bowel movement then all is okay. If the bowel movement is primarily liquid with flecks of solid material then there may be cause for concern, especially if it associated with pain. Are you eating any whole grains in your diet? Have you included legumes? These will add a bit more bulk. You can take beano or simethicone (gas tablets) or charcoal caps to help with the gas. All of these products are benign and simply absorb the gas in the bowel. Gas is common when you add more vegetables to your diet. Gas is normal but can be embarrassing but you can control it with the above products. Hope this helps.
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2008
Supporter
I had the same problem (gas) until I started combining my food properly. Something that you need to be aware of (since you eat meat) is that meat requires a more acidic environment to digest, whereas carbs need a more alkaline environment. If you eat the two together you confuse you stomach a little - hence the gas.
Another bummer is that meat takes 2-4 hours to digest and fruit and veggies only takes about 20 minutes. This means that the plant material gets trapped with the meat and this can cause gas too.
|

replied April 6th, 2011
I've been having the same sort of problem since I made some rather intense change in my diet. Eliminating wheat and dairy products. I am consuming a large amount of greens and fiber rich veggies, and am a vegetarian. If this is because of a sudden shift in diet, how long will it last?
|

replied May 11th, 2012
hi friends,
I am reading your discussion,
There are numerous health benefits of being a vegetarian, here you can find information and articles about both vegan and vegetarian benefits….
I hope this site give you more help…
thanks to all.
|

replied July 8th, 2012
Vegan bowel movement trouble
My bowel movements since going vegan (with occasional dairy--mostly butter) have been loose, frequent and yellow-brown. Am starting to worry. Been about a month. Is this normal?
|

replied July 21st, 2012
Uh oh
No
Not
Normal at all.
|

replied September 30th, 2012
bowel movements
I've just gone mostly vegan too 3 months ago/ no dairy -meat or eggs after a complete hysterectomy. I do eat a little yogurt and white fish once or twice a week. Have noticed similar changes in my bowels also. I am glad to know that becoming a vegan is the only reason and not a big concern. I talked to my surgeon's nurse and she suggested adding more fiber. I've also cut back on wheat which doesn't help. Fiber therapy such as psyllium supposed to be good and will improve bowel movements. Will add it to my tea in the morning... Good luck...
|

replied February 3rd, 2013
Green Veggie Juice - no reg bowel movement
I've been doing a green vegetable juice fast for the last 30 days. I've rarely had a bowel movement. At first it was normal then once it seemed as it should (soft and long) then I got major constipation for 2 weeks. Dr recommended continuing but recommended mirilax (spell?) and tons of water. I did so and drink about a gallon a day, It worked after 4 days. Now I'm back to where I was before, no movement. But still drinking the juice and water. I'm so confused.

Juice typically is: Blended (not juiced) Spinach, baby kale, carrots, apple, orange, pomegranate, blueberries, and pineapple or watermelon. Drink about 2 cups every 3 hrs.
|