Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

bowel movement after eating

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I dont know why. But it seems like im really sensitive to food that ive eat. Especially outside food, but when i eat at home im ok. Is this normal? and my stood seems to be soft all the time
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Need for defecation after having a meal is due to gastrocolonic reflex (this is typical for kids, when food passes from the stomach into the upper part of the small intestine, triggers increased contractions of large bowels)
When there is a obvious or overactive gastrocolic reflex in adults, the explanation usually is irritable bowel syndrome.
Actually, people with IBS have hypersensitive gastrointestinal tract, and the very lower end of the colon contracts severely only fifteen minutes after a meal has been eaten. This gives a explanation how an IBS attack can hit so fast and so hard after or even while eating, resulting in loosy stools.
In some patients with IBS this reflex is almost deminished and the colon contracts very slowly, and they suffer from constipation.
Stress being not home surely adds to this problem, since IBS sufferers are very vulnerable to stress.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply